Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been working on a 500 CID Cadillac project for a couple years, but gave up on the project vehicle. I have a complete 500 CID Cadillac Engine. It is all machined, just needs assembly. The block was bored out .030, it has Keith Black flat top pistons. It has 120cc heads that had new seals, three angle valve job, etc. The Keith Black pistons with the 120cc heads bring it to about a 9:1 compression ratio. I have two Rubbermaid boxes full of all the nuts, bolts, and accessories. The flywheel and pistons have been balanced. I have un-cracked exhaust manifolds. The 500 crank was polished and did not require machining. Everything was sprayed down by Caterpillar rust protectant (which is like Kosmolene in a can). Everything just needs a good cleaning to clean that stuff off. I have $2500+- invested in this engine with parts and machine work. Email for questions, I'm sure I'm leaving things out.

Here is a more detailed list:
1. 5200 casting block bored .030
2. 1602498 heads (120cc)
3. Keith Black flat top pistons on stock connecting rods (.030 over sized)
4. Harmonic Balancer
5. Alternator (tested okay two years ago on CarQuest bench tester)
6. Starter (tested okay two years ago on CarQuest bench tester)
7. Oil Pan
8. Push Rods
9. Oil pickup tube
10. alternator bracket
11. power steering bracket
12. distributer
13. new freeze plugs
14. new lifters
15. new clevite bearings
16. new Melling oil pump
17. Total seal rings
18. new billet water neck
19. new billet distributer hold down clamp
20. new billet fuel pump block off
21. new billet timing marker
22. timing cover
23. Cloyes tming chain new
24. new EPW stock cam shaft.
25. i have a gasket set somewhere, i will find it ASAP.

If anyone wants to read more about Caddy 500s check out. They're also shorter, not as tall (with aluminum intake), and lighter than a big block chevy. Just wider at the top.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9364/guide/Engineid.html
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9364/guide/Why.htm

Will sell for $500 to the first person who picks it up out of my garage. - Located in Richmond, TX which is near Houston, TX

Attachments

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
What connecting rods?

I sort of collect Caddy 500's. I have four of them.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
The connecting rods are stock, and the Keith Black pistons are installed on them.
Anything done to the rods? Shotpeened, etc?

What's the cam shaft?

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's nothing fancy done to the engine except the Keith Black pistons. That's the reason I built a Caddy 500. I didn't want to do a bunch of B.S. to another engine to make the same power. I wanted to be able to idle all day long without having cooling issues and crap like that. The camshaft is just some run of the mill new stock replacement.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The cylinder holes look rusty

I assume you have all of the reciepts to prove whats been done?

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's because that CAT rust protectant looks all nasty and yellow. There might be some surface rust, but no worse than most people just hone out.

I don't have individual receipts, but you can look up the price for all the parts that are new in the boxes if you want. Also, don't need many receipts to show that it has been bored .030.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
What kind of power would a guy expect out of this setup? Does it bolt up with common Chevy transmissions?

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
I was expecting about 500ft/lb of torque and desktop dyno estimated the same thing. I don't remember HP.
This requires a BOP transmission (I adapted a Caddy TH400 to my NP203 by using a Chevy output shaft in the caddy Case) or a BOP to Chevy adapter.

STOCK they are 502 flywheel ft lbs of torque. HP is about 285 (RWHP) or so, redline is around 42-4600 RPM with stock rockers.

Not sure what the 30 over does....Are those forged pistons?

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This requires a BOP transmission (I adapted a Caddy TH400 to my NP203 by using a Chevy output shaft in the caddy Case) or a BOP to Chevy adapter.

STOCK they are 502 flywheel ft lbs of torque. HP is about 285 (RWHP) or so, redline is around 42-4600 RPM with stock rockers.

Not sure what the 30 over does....Are those forged pistons?

I think I have the BOP/Chevy adapter. It's just about a 3/4" thick piece of plate. I still need to make a complete list of every single part I have. Hopefully will be doing that this week. I have to finish fixing my Porsche so I can pull it out of the garage to get to all the parts.

The pistons are hypereutectic, .030 over due to cylinder wall wear with the block. Also, the reason I went with the flat tops is to make the compression ratio higher since I have the 120cc heads. Regular pistons would have brought the compression ratio down to something ridiculous like 6.5:1 or something and the flat tops bring it to 9 or 9.5. Like I said, it's been a while since I bought all the parts and did the math so I have forgot lots of things.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,238 Posts
The problem is that you can find these motors anywhere. I have 5 of them. I am quasi interested in the non stock parts but the block and heads are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's cool, I understand that people don't want to spend $800 on a block with $600 worth of machine work, heads with $120 worth of machine work, nearly $400 pistons, plus all that other stuff.

I will just scrap it in a couple weeks. It's taking up too much space in the garage when Porsche parts are piling in for the 951.

Will sell for $500 to the first person who picks it up out of my garage.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Really wish I had the fundage to pick it up. Seems like it would be a great one to pick up and finish building to put in my 1 ton wrangler. Good luck man but if you absolutely can't stand having it I will FIND a way to get it haha------------:D

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If i was going through Houston,i would buy it and add it to Grendal's pile without him knowing.LOL .Until i need it anyways.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts