Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget the dumb pringles cans, too much trouble. After buying the connectors, etc, you could get a real 16db Yagi antenna like this one. It's the same size, but much better performance.

I don't use it anymore, since finally getting DSL in my 'hood :evil:

PM me if interested. Comes with the following:

Lucent Gold Waveaccess laptop PC wireless card, w/external antenna connector.

"pigtail" wire to connect laptop wireless card to yagi antenna, or to connect to extension cable.

"pigtail" wire as above, but connects to regular PCI card instead of laptop PC card.

20 ft extension of low-loss WBC-400 extension cable.

16 DB Yagi antenna

Two extra connectors, chassis mount, for pringles-style homade antenna projects.

$200 for everything, free shipping in the lower 48
paypal OK

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't kmow what the maximum range is. I had no problem connecting to hotspots all around my house. I would guess at least 1/2 city block. It's directional, so it has to be pointed towards the access point.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To get the best range, the antenna should be line-of sight. Usually the best way to do this is to put the antenna on your roof. To do that you need a high quality, low loss extension cable. That part costs more than the antenna. ;)
There are cheaper extensions cables, but they have so much loss that you lose alot if not all the gain provided by the antenna, reducing any advantage that the antenna would have provided.

Edit: Hey, I got a Toyota, and am always looking for parts. Or just make me an offer. This stuff isn't getting used anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts