Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you who suggested that I change from an automatic computer to a manual computer when swapping out the E4OD for anything else....

I spent the $342 to try your theory, and I got a computer from a 1995 F250/351/manual to replace my 1995/bronco/351/E4od when I swapped out the e4od for an AOD.

No change.

Both computers have no codes after the swap, and I can feel no different seat of the pants experience with full throttle shifts. :(

But, I can say that I have tried it and am now sure.

The e4od computer *never* popped a check engine trouble light, but it did keep a code in it's memory for a soft fault when probed for low level troubles. It ust wanted to say that although we traveled down the road well enough, the e4od seemed a bit distant. Hmmm.. Not a concern, it never affected performance and it passed the state of california's referee check station when he probed the computer for it's memory.

The stick shift computer had no codes under any situation, but it was not driven long enough to store anything significant. So far, so good though.

Both wiring harnesses were nearly identical, so there is no re-wiring needed if you guys want to know. Just plug and play.

Incidentally, I once wired a MAF 5.0 computer and wiring harness to run a 1993 LT-1 because I was bored and wanted to make a project for an electronic engineering class I was in... ;)

Adam

·
Ford Forum Moderator
1,999 Posts
Hey, if you could document the original problem, & what you did in the EFI thread, I'd really appreciate it. It could be really helpfull to someone in the future. Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Did you have to make any jumpers or anything for the comp since the E4OD isnt plugged in???Or is there just a plug not being used???Thanks for all the answers...

Brian...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no original problem, other than me wanting to see if the "experts" knew what they were talking about.

"they" don't.

Our experiment was to see if:

Upon replacing a computer controlled automatic transmission with a non-computer controlled tranny, would swapping the computers give any additional benefit.

My case scenario:

I have a 1995 351/E4od. I swapped the tranny for a 1989 AOD.

I then got a computer for a 1995 351 w/ stick shift.

No change in performance, although the engine idles *higher* with the stick shift computer. Figure that one out.

Sorry about being punchy tonight guys, I spent $125 on a lamb dinner for my own B day and it was terrible. Don't go to Fabiani's in Santa Rosa.

Adam

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, hey. the wiring harnesses were so similar it was plug-n-play. Unplug the e4od comp, plug in the stick shift comp. and call it good.

Adam

·
Registered
33 Posts
just reading and when i swapped in a 460 C6 into my 351W 5 speed truck i ran the 351 computer with no problems, sorry im late in replying

1 - 6 of 6 Posts