Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm sold on the making my roof rack for my 89' burb out of 3/4 and 1" electrical conduit. So please Don't ride my ass. I am a fairly talented fabricator and think i can make it suit my needs. Plus i already have a conduit bender and a notcher. Anyways i am having a problem trying to figure out how to attach it to the roof and still be water proof and look decent. I thought about buying the roof mount brackets from Con-ferr, but they want $198 dollars for eight mounts. I could probably make some to look just like them, but they wouldn't have the fancy bolts with the rubber grommets for attachment. To explain the bolts, it looked to me like you drilled and hole and then inserted the bolt wrapped with rubber sleeve and then as you tightened it it would flare on the inside and the outside creating a seal. I'm not sure though the pictures on the web are hard to see. So does anybody have any experience with this or have any good ideas. This model of suburban doesn't have any window or roof rails. And don't flame my ass for not owning the best baddest rock crawler. This is my hunting rig and I am looking to tap into you guys knowledge. Thanks for any information that you can give me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
do the suburbans come with luggage racks on the roof? on my blazer, I just removed the luggage rack and made a couple of cross bars and bolted them down using the stock holes.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Check with a bike shop or other place that sells racks. There probably would have some ideas or mounting systems that might be cheaper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This year model suburban did not come with any roof racks (or i should say that the one i got didn't come with any) so at this time there is not a single hole in the roof.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
When I worked at the shop, We always used well nuts. They came with all the kits also. Just dont over tighten, and make sure you drill with the correct size bit.

Charlo

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I made a ladder rack for an old 1984 S-10 I had and just welded Galvanized 3/4" pipe unions to a plate then bolted the plate to the truck bed. I could remove the rack by taking the unions apart. It was cheap and I was just starting out in business with very little money. As far as I know that truck is still being used around town with the rack still on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts