Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a small miscalculation when I built my dual triangulated 4-link for the rear & my axle is shifted to the driver's side about 1". nothing major but I'd like to fix it.

my uppers are adjustable but my lowers are not for strength issues. to move the axle to the passenger side I lengthend the driver upper & shortened the pass upper. this did shift the axle some but effectively created a permenant rear-steer, as expected.

I have to build new lower links anyway so I was thinking if I built a slightly longer passenger & shorter driver this should straighten the rear axle but keep the shift provided by the adjustment of the uppers.

before I burn on the link ends and waste more material if I'm wrong I wanted to get yall's input. does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
17,818 Posts
Hack the lowers off and center the axle. No sense wasting time when you can fix it right and be done.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Myanarchy said:
Hack the lowers off and center the axle. No sense wasting time when you can fix it right and be done.
do you mean hack off the brackets? they are not moving, I'll leave it off center before I do that.

people put adjustability in the c-arms to make adjustments, which is what I want to do. I just want to confirm that the above will effectively shift the axle.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I think he's saying since your upper are adjustable anyway and the lowers need to be rebuilt rebuild the lowers the correct size and adjust the uppers back to center

-ben

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Unless your willing to re-do the bracketry I would leave it as is. The problem is when you start changing the control arm lengths to shift the axle side to side how are you going to ensure the axle remains square to the chassis?

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
If your lower links are the same length, and your link mounts on the frame are right, why would you have induced rear steer by adjusting the uppers to center the axle?

I ask because I've seen that very thing done and not have the rear steer issue.

To me it sounds like you mis calculated your link mounts, or your lowers are already different lengths.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i can't imagine adjusting the uppers to move the axle only 1 inch causing noticable rear steer (unless all the links are really short). I'ld go back and remeasure your lower link mount at the crossmember and confirm that it's truely centered between the framerails. There's no reason both uppers or both lowers would be different lengths if your mounts at the frame are in the proper location.

If you do have rear steer with the axle centered, IT HAS THE BE YOUR LOWER LINK MOUNTS (assuming your lower arms are matching lengths).

I say wheel it with the axle 1" offset and see if you like everything else. Don't start cutting shit up until you decide weather or not you like the anti squat %, roll center, torque flex, ect,.. Then cut the shit up and re-do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts