Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys.. i am confused so please help here.

I remember i saw an article somewhere in the web stating that a D44 axle from a 78-79 Ford Bronco will come from factory with High Pinion, Reverse Cut and Hi-Steering system. Is that correct? I have spoted a pair of 78 Ford Broncos and can't see the Hi-Steering system... thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
bronco75 said:
correct on high pinion reverse cut but wrong on hi steer

78-79 had HP Reverse Cut and cast wedges

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Thanks for the quick reply. Now i wonder.. what Fords came with D 44 HP 5 Lug and what Fords came with 8 lugs? What is the main difference and what would you recomend to swap onto a Jeep with 37's?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Most early Ford trucks (f100 and the broncos) would have a d44hp. An f250 or something larger will have a d44hd or a dana 60. The hd is also high pinion and basically the housing is stronger, thicker walls, and these will usually have disc brakes. early 5 lugs will be drum, later like the broncos (78 and 79) are disc.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Big Boss said:
Ok. Thanks for the quick reply. Now i wonder.. what Fords came with D 44 HP 5 Lug and what Fords came with 8 lugs? What is the main difference and what would you recomend to swap onto a Jeep with 37's?
3/4 ton will have 8 lug i think, dont quote me on it but im thinking of doiung the same, i cant find a d60 so im actually converting my one hp44 to 8 lug so it matches my 14b

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fordman and Net for your time.

I have seen D60 going to reciclyng yards on Baja, Mexico. A complete drum to drum dana 60 will cost you $100 bucks. Last weekend i was on one of these recyling plants and there where like 10 or more D60's (rears) piled getting rust...but i guess shipping one of these will kill you

·
Registered
472 Posts
Big Boss said:

I have seen D60 going to reciclyng yards on Baja, Mexico. A complete drum to drum dana 60 will cost you $100 bucks. Last weekend i was on one of these recyling plants and there where like 10 or more D60's (rears) piled getting rust...but i guess shipping one of these will kill you
I think they were refering to D60 FRONT axles not rears

·
Registered
678 Posts
TheRipper said:
Was that the year that you can cut the wedges off or is that a no..no?
I cut the wedges off the 77 D44 EB axle I have with no problem. Each wedge is welded only on the top and bottom but not on the sides.

Other than the 78-79 Bronco, I don't know what yrs./trucks the HP D44 had the cast wedges on them.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Big Boss said:

Should have clarified a bit more, the 60 I was reffering to was the front axle. 60 rears arent anything special really. Let me know if youve got any other questions. I put a Sterling in my truck and did an 8 lug disc brake swap on my 44hp which was originally drum brake and 5 lug.

·
Registered
506 Posts
mad_boi said:
Other than the 78-79 Bronco, I don't know what yrs./trucks the HP D44 had the cast wedges on them.
77' was the last year for the welded wedges on a HP44. I'm ASSUMING the earlier years of 44s in the F-150s had welded wedges as well. Anything prior to 76' will most likely have drums

Big Boss said:
what Fords came with D 44 HP 5 Lug and what Fords came with 8 lugs?
5 lug HP D44 w/coils:
??-79' F-150s (HP44s have been around awhile)
78'-79' Broncos

5 lug HP D44 w/leaves:
78'-79' F-150 Supercabs

8 lug HP D44:
77.5'-79' F-250 (except Snowfighter and Camper Special)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. I got a pair of a '79 Ford Bronco Axles. Front D44 HP and Rear nine.

Now that i am ready to put a locker on the rear.. i need to know how many splines are the shafts??

Can anyone help me with this one?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Captain. Actually i know i have a D44HP up front and a Rear 9. My question is how many splines this Nine has? 28 or 31? I have been searching for almost three hours on the web with no answer. I will keep searching.
The problem is that these axles are on the way home.. so i can not open the rear until it gets here. I was trying to save some time and get the Locker right away.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Big Boss said:
Thanks Captain. Actually i know i have a D44HP up front and a Rear 9. My question is how many splines this Nine has? 28 or 31? I have been searching for almost three hours on the web with no answer. I will keep searching.
The problem is that these axles are on the way home.. so i can not open the rear until it gets here. I was trying to save some time and get the Locker right away.
Thanks for your time.
unless its got aftermarket shafts and carrier (ie: 33, 35 spl etc) it will have 31 splines. There was no other OEM option on these, and it would be completely custom and stupid to make it into a 28 spline unit (early 2wd 28 spline stuff is much narrower) Order up the 31 spline parts!

·
Registered
316 Posts
you need to remember that stupid people do stupid things, alot of 9" parts inter change and people swap stuff for reasons unknown...wait and pull the shafts when it gets there. personaly I would not waist any money on a 28spline rear so I would just order the 31 spline stuff and if the axles were 28 then I would just get another set.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Chopp. I got it and they are 31 spline. Maybe it is mee or the rear nine is non-centered? What do you think of it?Would it be a good swap or maybe i need to get a centered nine? Where do i get a centered 31 splines NINE?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The diff is a little to the passanger side of the axel.They are all like that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts