Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Pretty sure it's their first podium in their rookie season.

Jeff Knoll
Scott Hartman
Scott Parker
and the other Scott...

Excellent work gentlemen.

d
well until "official" results are posted, congrats way to represent

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hell yes! Super glad to hear about it guys! Now if I can just get down to a race finally....

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
We have a check in hand from MDR so I would guess its pretty official.:D

Race report to follow. Bad luck for the pirate team this weekend, I think Lance needs a Trophy Truck, the Jeep is not strong enough for his balls out driving style. Hella fast!

It was a team effort in the DJ camp, We can't thank everyone enough for getting us on the podium in our rookie year.

Don't forget Dan" Captain Morgan" Turner the other navigator.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Congratulations. The TJ seemed to be very consistant.
JRT made up a spreadsheet to track DJR race times/position Saturday morning. 1706 was so consistent JRT could call off the mile markers within seconds of them being called in by the car.

I'm an idiot on a 'puter (among other things), I was sure impressed with the real time info he had available.

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
"Orange Army of Dust Junkies gets first podium at the MDR Lucerne 250”

The 1st Dust Motorsports, 1706 Jeepspeed driven by Jeff Knoll and Scott Hartman lead the “Orange Army of Dust Junkies” to their first podium in their rookie season with a third place out of 21 starters in the Jeepspeed series.. The DJR team was prepared going into the MDR race to do battle. LJ Engineering prepped the car the weeks leading to the race and after extensive prerunning, LJ sent the team out to test and pound the car to see what would shake off. DJR and LJ Engineering then re-prepped the car the week before the race, to gage the amount of abuse the car would take at a given average speed, and lap time. The team then made a plan to run at a speed that they knew the car would go to the finish at.

The theory proved positive with a few glitches. Early in lap one Hartman hit an unseen rock cracking the front axle housing. Later in the same lap the exhaust broke free from the header and took out the O2 sensor as well as a hydraulic line that controlled the clutch. Unbelievably Hartman was able to maintain his pace without a clutch on lap two due to a new system, Dave Cole developed, which tracked the racecar and other leaders in real time. With guidance from main pit, Dave Cole, and his timing crew. Crew chief Jeff Ranney informed Hartman and Turner of adjustments in the pace. This information helped Hartman pick up a position in lap two taking him to 4th place without the use of a clutch.

The battered car ran amazing. The Rubicon Express suspension took a beating like we have never seen. With help from the King racing Shocks the 1706 Wrangler was able to run considerably faster and for longer periods over the roughest terrain. Hartman and Turner handed the 1706 car bruised but not broken to Knoll and Parker to finish the race at the end of lap two. To mix things up this race saw a completely different driver change crew. Unlike the MDR night race the driver change crew did not get time to practice the driver change. Knowing the other crew logged a one minute twenty second fuel and driver change the new crew lead by Bob Green, was convinced they could do just as well. They did not disappoint and the DJR driver change took only one minute and fifty seconds. This included all the duties the other crew had as well as diagnoses the clutch and exhaust problems.

We knew 4th place could turn into 3rd place, based on the time calculations. Dave had the updated times before we passed the start finish line and LJ informed us that 3rd place was only 20 seconds ahead of us. This proved a bit stressful as I was having trouble shifting the transmission with no clutch. By mile 5 I had control of the shifting and we where trying to maintain the pace the crew had set. At Mile 9 we passed the 3rd place car stopped on the side of the road and my spirits soared. 3rd place baby! The sandy uphill section ahead was our first test. The real hero in this race was Harland Sharp. The motor ran perfect spinning the rpm’s well into the 5000 range and holding it there. When we did need to shift we had to drop the RPM’s way down to get the transmission in gear. The motor quickly regained the RPM’s and had no trouble running there for as long as need be. With out the Harland Sharp roller rockers and the RE throttle body we doubt we would have maintained the pace.

At Our pit 2 Mike Opper and his crew waved us on and then informed us that the 4th place car was no where in site. Main pit called and then gave us the good news. The 4th place car was 20 minutes behind and we should drop the pace to a safe speed. They would monitor 4th place and tell us if we needed to go faster. 2nd and 1st place where 20 minutes ahead and doing battle. It was unlikely we could catch them in a lap and a half with no clutch. We were willing to try but main suggested we run our race and hope they take each other out. We had a text book race from there to the finish except when We hit a jump a little to hot and felt the rear sway bar fail. The car was extremely lose in the last half of lap 4. The last 15 miles was enjoyable. The best part of the race was really the last two miles. It seemed like every team was out at the track waving us on and cheering. Even in third place we felt we had accomplished a major milestone, It was exactly one year before to the day that Dust Junkies racing was born, at the exact site we set up our pit. In just 4 races we have built a car that is new to the series, built the best team in Jeepspeed, and made it to the podium.

We can not begin to thank all the members of the “Orange Army of Dust Junkies” at this race and every race this year. 30 plus strong at every race, the orange shirts are easy to see spread out across the desert. We could not have finished as well with out your support. We would also like to thank Jeepspeed for opening up the class to include all 6cyl. Jeep vehicles, and last but not least our 2007 race partners Rubicon Express, Harland Sharp, Crawl magazine, Loose Nuts Enterprises, Rock Buggy Supply, JE Reel drive lines, King Racing shocks, CTM racing, Premiere racing products, LJ Engineering, Banks Power, Armor-Craft, MX Hauler, and RVMD.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Nice work, congrats

camo

·
Registered
547 Posts
Nice Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Thanks guys, we had a great time.

My report:

Danny Turner and I left camp at about 8:00 AM Saturday morning relaxed and calm with a game plan and an amazing team placed strategically around the Lucerne 250 race course. LJ and Tandi helped us get our buckets on and strapped in for the start of the race. We knew we had a good car with the best components available on the market and knew that our plan was sound. The 2006 race was won by Ray Griffith with an average speed of 36.5 MPH and 4:42:41. Jeff ran a pre-run speed lap just under 1:20. Ray was fast but we thought that we could get close to that. La Fortune passed us pretty quickly but never pulled us by much, Ray passed us about 10 or 12 miles later and we hung with him for quite a while. There were two other rabbits giving chase to the leaders, but we stuck to the plan and ran 'our' race. About halfway into lap 1 we hit a buried rock square in the front then the rear that really rang our bell! There were no sounds or vibrations so we kept going. After the race we discovered a cracked front housing and a hole in the .120 wall rear truss.

About the midway point of lap one the exhaust got real loud and started banging on the floor boards. We knew what it was so we kept in it and stayed on task. We had Brian Hartman and Dave do a visual as we passed them at pole line and they informed us that it was still hanging in there. Lap two the exhaust broke off at the header and we were in for some ear ringing good times. It happened about the time that pirate4x4 lance passed us on the ragged edge of control swapping side for side. He was bucking like a bronco and swapping shooting huge roosts to each side. We took the inside line in the corner and took the spot back as he came to an abrupt stop, apparently with a blown motor. I tried to up-shift near where Kevin, his son and Mike Opper were pitted and the clutch went to the floor with nothing there. I've driven enough without a clutch that it didn't slow me down whatsoever. We waited a while to inform the team of the problem then asked Wayne and Harry to see if they could see clutch fluid on the car. They didn't get the call in time and couldn't see fluid.

Lap 2 near pit 'C' we were fully getting it about to pass the 3rd place car when in a 4 wheel drift at speed I punched a cluster of about five yucca plants. We had a good laugh and kept on motoring.

We kept the car together, passed the aforementioned rabbits broke down on the side of the track, and brought Jeff and Scott a bruised but not broken race car in 4th place after two laps. Dave Cole, Crash440, and Surveyboy kept us knowing exactly where we were on the race course every second of the day. That was so valuable! At Bob and Machelle's pit, Dave Cole and Jack Graef ripped Dan and I out of the car and got Scott and Jeff buckled in and ready to go with a full tank of fuel by Surveyboy (Shawn) in just under two minutes at the end of lap 2. Jeff passed the 3rd place car within 15 miles and the Bessemer pit told us that no Jeepspeed had passed them for 16 minutes after Jeff went by and that Ray and Jason were out ahead by about 25 minutes. Jeff Ranney, our crew chief, called into the race car and told them to take it down a notch and get the wrangler in for a respectable finish. Jeff was running the exact split times that I was up to that point. Our lap times would have won the race in 2006, but not this year and not with Jason and Ray duking it out for the points championship.

I cant thank our people enough for the support and commitment to the team that they have shown. From the top to the bottom you guys are why we are now in the top ten in points and finished so well here at Lucerne. CTM, Rubicon Express, PRP, King shocks, JE Reel, RVMD, Banks, Harland Sharp, Loose Nuts Enterprises, Rock Buggy Supply, Fat City, Crawl Magazine, MX Hauler, Armorcraft, BRX Hoses, LJ Engineering, BF Goodrich and the Dust Junkies made this happen.

·
Registered
14,907 Posts
:bounce: Congrats guys :D

Hope I get to see you race again sometime, I had a BLAST.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts