Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
yha, some one finaly took puting birfields on the drive shaft to the next level.

2 birfs back to back w/ 45degree operating angle.

kinda been a back yard thing for a few years, now some ones marketing them

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
They are called Cornay Joints, and there's is alot more to them than you think, they have been around for a few years in mining eqiupment and marine drives, they did some developement with the front axles on Big Mac in the late 90's, I think they are getting them figured out and we will see more of them in the near future. They work killer for independant suspension axle joint and in driveshafts.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
heres the specs on the automotive cv...
operating torque:300 ft/lbs
max torque:2200 ft/lbs
operating rpm:2000 rpm
max rpm:5000 rpm
max angle: 30degrees

30 degrees out of a cv, and an operating torque of only 300 ft/lbs.. not much other than alot of hype!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
30 degrees out of a cv, and an operating torque of only 300 ft/lbs.. not much other than alot of hype!
which is far more than adequate for 99.95% of automotive applications out there.

I'm sure they have or can make something more suited to our needs.

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
Sundowner said:

which is far more than adequate for 99.95% of automotive applications out there.

I'm sure they have or can make something more suited to our needs.
Yeah, what he said. My only experience with them is on the macpherson trophy truck, they used them when they built the truck in '96 or something, they used them for the axles on the IFS, it had 37" tires, 750 hp and about 25" of wheel travel. A friend of mine did alot of developement on them, but I cant get much info out of him, he got to be hush-hush about alot of the stuff he does. There are some good shots of them on the TLC extreme machines four-wheel drive show they had a few years ago

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks sundowner, this is a great set up, i will call them tomorrow, i have been using convell C.V.'s for two years.I will ask about a main drive shaft for my truck. steve

·
Registered
365 Posts
I will help you guys out with some info.

The joint still has the same "downfalls" of a typical double cardan. But as their webiste shows, it does have some "new" technology.

And about the Macpherson shaft. That was a one off custom pair that was made completely from 300M.

It does have a lot of promise, but Cornay is still trying to get a big order for larger sizes to bring the production costs down. They have the small ones on the Hummer, but none of the big ones are in much circulation.

I used to work for a company who was trying to promote this product, but it never took off for us either. I do however think it will take off in a few years(or less) now that off roaders know about it. Would be great for SWB Jeeps in the rear.

And there are a couple sizes they have made that are roughly 1410 size. I think they have a 1350 or 1330 size as well. But again, not in production.

And they can handle propshaft speeds. So you guys don't have to worry about that. I think between 5 and 6k RPMS depending on version.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion.

The website basically shows what they have done. Not what they can do.

Steve

·
In GOD we trust. USA
13,089 Posts
Kicker said:
I will help you guys out with some info.

The joint still has the same "downfalls" of a typical double cardan.
What are the "downfalls" of a double cardan?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts