Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what the general opinions are for the least amount of backspacing one can get away with on a the toyota front end with no wheel spacers, etc... I am going to be using 38/12.50/15 tsl radials and was hoping to use either 15X8 or 15X10 aluminum wheels with 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 backspacing. Thanks
erik

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
With 38.5s my steering is limited by the tires hitting the springs and steering box with 15x10 wheels with 3" backspacing and 3/4" spacers.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am happy with 2" BS 15X10 with 37 MTR's- no spacers. I would be wayyyyy too wide for the street with 14.5 or 15" tires IMO.

you can see how far my 12.5 wide tires stick out in this pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
ive been 2" BS forever, i even have spacers up front, wheel bearings arent an issue...i drive street, trail, all over...steering was garbage before hydro assist when locked...

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
TK said:
I am happy with 2" BS 15X10 with 37 MTR's- no spacers. I would be wayyyyy too wide for the street with 14.5 or 15" tires IMO.

Damn your tall.. how much lift do you have? Only 3" all pro springs? or is there more? Any desire to be wider than you are now?

Garrett

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Originally posted by TK

Hick said:

Damn your tall.. how much lift do you have? Only 3" all pro springs? or is there more? Any desire to be wider than you are now?

Garrett
must be a ......SHOW TRUCK :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow 2 inches of backspacing! I don't think I can get aluminum rims with that little. I don't care about springs cause I refuse to run them so the steering won't be limited by leaves. Just wanted to hear the skinny on what it does to bearings and knuckles but if ol' booger can get away with it then I'll be fine! How comes the 1/4 elliptic? I just ordered up a set of coils for the front and rear of my project light weight! Time to get building again! Gunna have it done for Jambo? I hope they let me in with having toyota t-cases and axles!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hick said:

Garrett
3"springs + drop hangers + 3" BL + longer shackles

I want less lift, but it isn't tippy (I think because of the wide stance) and it is nice to have the clearance without the sawzall. Also, I am about to tuck the gas tank up 3" so the bl is staying- for now.

:flipoff2: ShowTruck! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Not wanting to use a sawzall? You got the showtruck part right. :p

Anyway, I run 12.50s (36" TSL) and 3.75" backspacing and my tires are all over the springs before the steering stops have anything to say.

Either run 2" BS wheels, or plan on some kind of wheel spacer. After a 1.5" spacer (I'm steppin up to 38.5x14.50s, so I need a fatty spacer) I'll be at 2.25" effective backspacing (3.75-1.50)... so I'm happy.

I think the spacers are the way to go: Buying 2" BS wheels costs extra, and your rear end ends up VERY wide. Using the more common 3.5ish backspacing gives you the same width front and rear after a pair of 1.5" spacers, and you don't make the rear end even wider than it was.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
TK said:

3"springs + drop hangers + 3" BL + longer shackles

I want less lift, but it isn't tippy (I think because of the wide stance) and it is nice to have the clearance without the sawzall. Also, I am about to tuck the gas tank up 3" so the bl is staying- for now.

:flipoff2: ShowTruck! :flipoff2:
Thats good you dont feel tippy, i do, with 4" trailmaster springs,2" lift shackles, and chevys, shackles, and blocks out back, plus a 3" body lift.. i figure i am about 9-10" over stock... maybe some new front springs and 2" BS wheels are just what i need for my project (been lookin at goin full width) But regardless.. my body lift is goin.. i dont care how low my gas tank is :flipoff2:

Garrett

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Backspacing aint the only concern. I got some positive offset wheels recently to add some width to my runner, and they didn 't clear the disc brake calipers in the rear. The old wheels with much less offset cleared the calipers fine.

It seems that the wheels with the bigger offset had a smaller inside diameter where the wheel mounting surface is.

Those wheels belong to someone else now.

·
Registered
600 Posts
so where do you guys get these 15x10 wheels with 2" backspacing...i cant seem to find them anywhere...also about how much are you paying?

·
Registered
961 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
so where do you guys get these 15x10 wheels with 2" backspacing...i cant seem to find them anywhere...also about how much are you paying?
4wheel parts wholesalers
$15 more than the standard per wheel(in my case it was about $60 each). The real bitch is waiting for them. They are special order.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I just ordered 2.5 backspaced 15x8 black steel rims from 4wheel
parts wholesale and they cost me 36.70 a rim shipped to my door:D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Good luck on finding aluminum rims with 2.5 inch of backspacing. If you do please post where you bought them!

I have 3.25 backspacing and with (4) 2.5 inch spacers. Perfect in my opinion. About 80 inches wide (tire to tire) with 12.50's. Time now to step up to 38.5's

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
ECF said:
Wow 2 inches of backspacing! I don't think I can get aluminum rims with that little. I don't care about springs cause I refuse to run them so the steering won't be limited by leaves. Just wanted to hear the skinny on what it does to bearings and knuckles but if ol' booger can get away with it then I'll be fine! How comes the 1/4 elliptic? I just ordered up a set of coils for the front and rear of my project light weight! Time to get building again! Gunna have it done for Jambo? I hope they let me in with having toyota t-cases and axles!
ill be done for the jambo, if im not you can ride shotgun:D

made some progress frenching things in in the rain...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
Rockstompers got them. I just ordered 5 15X8 with beadlocks for 4 of 'em. The bead locks turn them into a 15X10. $55 each plus $28 per ring if you buy the hardware. Goin to pick them up on Saturday :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts