Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience w/ this chassis/drive train. Owner tells me that its an 8.3 Cummins hooked to a 6 speed Alison. Interwebs says to look at ball joint issues and possible rust near rear tires but overall seems to be a well like model?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/rvs/6041144882.html

Appreciate any info

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very few moho's are built on chassis made by the OEM. The vast majority are built on OEM vendor supplied chassis. The major players in the market over the last 20-years have been Freightliner, Spartan, Workhorse, IHC, Gillig, National, Oshkosh, and a few other lesser known OEM's.

The OEM of the vendor supplied chassis can make a big difference when it comes to getting any parts or service support down the road. Gillig prefers to not acknowledge they have ever built a moho chassis just like it is as if they never built a school bus back in the day.

Most of the parts and pieces are stock off the shelf medium and heavy duty truck parts. But there are some parts and pieces that can be a real bugger to source if the chassis is not supported by the OEM.

Before I pluncked down those sort of $$$ for a moho I think I would need to know who made the chassis and how hard it is going to be to find parts and service for it when the need arises.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not step it up to something with more power for the same money?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/rvs/6033475900.html
I've been looking at that one too; unfortunately it’s in Southern California. Flying to SoCal to look at a rig just isn't going to happen with my schedule.

I learned with my last tow rig (CAT 3406) that you can have all the power in the world but doesn't do you any good when the speed limit is 55 or 60 (towing) or traveling I5. There's so much truck traffic you can't go much more than 60, undoubtedly I'll get stuck behind a pack of semis crawling through Oregon and California passes. I think the 8.3 w/ 6 speed would be ok, M11 with Jakes would be :smokin:

Found some info ….

• Cummins, 8.3/330 HP ISC
• Torque [email protected] RPM
• Cubic inch 504.5
• Allison MD-3060, 6- Speed
• Spartan Mountain Master Stacked Rail
• Independent Front Suspension
• 7-layer Ceiling with Rubber Roof

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10