Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my buggy 3 years ago because I wanted something that does well going fast and crawling. It finished KOH in 2011 (before I owned it), so it's not a turd, but it's absolutely not an Ultra4 racecar by today's standards by any means. I don't race it, but I do enjoy being able to go anywhere I want in it, usually as fast as I want to go. I do everything from the hardest rock trails around to the biggest dunes around, and enjoy the occasional 100 MPH sprint. It's been a blast, but I'm finding myself looking for something else new and fun.

I don't have $100+K to build a new buggy that would take it to the next level. I'm thinking a new RZR 1K plus about $10K in add-ons will get me 90% of the places my buggy would go (all but the hardest rock trails) and a whole lot more trials my buggy couldn't go before for about 1/3 the money. If I wanted to do a race or two for fun, I could probably be fairly competitive with a machine or that caliber (???).

Who has made the switch and loved or hated it? I'm sure I'm not the first person to be considering this change.

I figure I would need:
real cage and bumpers
wheel / tires
better seats
better belts
better lights
turbo or something to make better power
better axles
shock tuning
else????

Could also sell my stiff-riding, gas-guzzling expensive diesel truck and huge enclosed trailer in favor of a 1/2 ton truck and smaller trailer.

:confused:

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
I haven't done it but I'd honestly do it in a heartbeat if someone would buy my junk. If also consider downsizing to a smaller truck as well. All my buddies that used to wheel don't wheel anymore and I have to drink 5+ hours to challenge the rig in legal wheeling places. Only other buddy I really wheel and wrench with is big into RZRs/ side by sides.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't done it but I'd honestly do it in a heartbeat if someone would buy my junk. If also consider downsizing to a smaller truck as well. All my buddies that used to wheel don't wheel anymore and I have to drink 5+ hours to challenge the rig in legal wheeling places. Only other buddy I really wheel and wrench with is big into RZRs/ side by sides.
That reminds me of another point too. There are a limited number of people who have a buggy that will ride the trials I want to at the pace I want to. As great as the internet is for making friends for similar hobbies, sometimes I just get tired of trying. Friends come and go, especially when you're 25-35 and everybody is selling everything they own to get married and have kids, then forget what offroading is.

Not trying to sound arrogant, but it gets old following around people with rigs half as capable as yours. I went out with a group late last year and never even put it in 4WD all day while they struggled to get up most obstacles. On the other hand, there are thousands of RZRs out there to ride with and a lot more trails you can take them on than a fullsize buggy.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If you do sell....

You will find yourself in the same position in a couple years, just with a RZR instead of a crawler/rocket ship.

Finding a hardcore group is hard, no matter what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I have buddies doing the same thing. Swapping from full size to RZR. Personally I am building a family crawler so I can take the kids with me and my buddies are getting RZRs and leaving their fullsize rigs broken or missing parts in the garage. Its tough when everyone gets older and goes different directions. At least with my decision I can include the family when I want, drive on the road (locally) and still hit the hardcore trails when the kids are at home. My kids are young so maybe in 5 years or so I will be in your boat. My 4 wheel group is getting smaller by the year. I don't have the money to go ultra 4 style so not apples to apples.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I personally think you are throwing money away. RZR are expensive, the market for ultra 4 buggies is somewhat soft right now. I know of several buggies that have been listed on here and have sold for 20k below asking price. By the time you build a RZR the way you want you wont have much if any money left over from your ultra 4 buggy, and you will have a rig in my opinion is less capable, possibly has an even lower resale value, and just simply not as cool. I have a U4 buggy and love it. I still enjoy trail wheeling with my buddies that have normal rigs, but I can have a blast letting it rip when I want, and race when I want.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
If you do sell....

You will find yourself in the same position in a couple years, just with a RZR instead of a crawler/rocket ship.

Finding a hardcore group is hard, no matter what you are doing.
Agree. You'll just max out the RZR capabilities and end up at the same point.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'll be the black sheep. I have a rzr 1k, just put a turbo on it, beadlocks, harness', bumpers, stuff. I have a blast following rigs with 40" tires and doing the same trails, then when I want, haul ass at 85 mph, and honestly, its been more reliable then my buggy. I can fit two in an enclosed trailer easily, and pull it with a 3/4 ton. I bought my fiancé a rhino to do her own thing when we go out, and not just be a passenger. I love it. That being said, I haven't sold my buggy....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
My kids are young so maybe in 5 years or so I will be in your boat. My 4 wheel group is getting smaller by the year. I don't have the money to go ultra 4 style so not apples to apples.
maybe not. my kids are not little anymore (16 and 12) and they both drive offroad and love it. it's a blast to take them with and let them drive. I went with a 4 seater buggy for that reason, family/friends. wanted the extra space to carry stuff and fit people.

maybe your kids will enjoy doing the same thing

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
the thing that keeps me away from the side by side stuff is they depreciate to damn fast. i have pretty much gotten my money out of the 3-4 rockcrawlers i have owned. if you buy a buggy already built and keep it nice you can usually sell for what you bought into it for. (building from scratch is another story). every year a new model side by side comes out and slams the prices down on the older models. i cant stomach the depreciation on them personally.

but on the other side maintaining a sxs seems very cheap compared to a most buggys.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Once you start pushing the limits of the RZR you're going to be spending as much time wrenching on it as your buggy. I'd spend the money on a rail or dualsport and maybe a more mild Jeep for running trails.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
I would really do some research and talk to the guys who are racing rzr's. They are pretty cool no doubt, but it seems like you have to replace damn near everything to actually race them. I think a lot of people, including myself, have seen the sxs races and thought, "hey cool, it's just a bunch of upgraded rzr's" when in reality they are way beyond that. Obviously, you aren't afraid of mods, it just seems silly to spend $30k on something, only to throw 60% of it away within a few years.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Here's my take, I don't have a RZR, but I got a smoking deal on a Maverick.

After spending untold hours helping everyone else build their rigs, only to have them broke, sold, or just flat not get used, I bought my Can Am.
I've been around racing and off roading all my life. I was slammed with work, I tried building a class 1450 desert truck, only to get 2/3rds of the way through it and already be out classed by other rigs.

The Polaris dealer and Can Am dealer are right around the corner from my shop. I got a flyer in the mail from Can Am about having several of last years models on clearance and after talking with Polaris, I bought the Can Am on price as I'm not really a fan boy of either machine.

I could have easily built a crawler, Ultra 4 type car, or finished my truck. I have the tools and shop. One thing I found in short supply was time. The Maverick is already built. It runs all day on 10 gallons of gas. I can tow it (Short range, to riding areas near me) behind my wife's Liberty.

Can you spend a shit ton with add ons, hop ups, tires, etc...? Absolutely. But what I found was the more you mess with them, their reliability starts to drop and you end up in the same vicious cycle. I've done a few things to mine, and with good driving can go 95% of the places my buddies go. I plan on doing the Rubicon once my leg heals.

I think what really surprised me was how quick it is. It'll bounce off the rev limiter at 79 MPH really easy. I would go so far as to say its deceptively dangerous, and a [email protected] load of fun.

So I say if a RZR is what does it for you, do it. You'll spend way less time building and wrenching. You'll spend way less on fuel. Don't get me wrong, I love building and wrenching, but I do it for a living, and it started to lose its appeal as a hobby. I just want to roll out, have fun, come home, hose it off and put it away.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It's all expensive. UTV's are hot right now, and believe me, I thought hard about my purchase. But it's also a matter of perspective.

What's your time worth? How much is "fun" worth? I dunno. Some of my friends thought I was nuts. A few of them couldn't understand why I'd buy something like that when I have the capacity to build something.
The Maverick was a short cut to fun. That's the best way I can describe it.

I also looked at the used market, and I think you'd be surprised, UTV's hold their value. Atleast around here, I couldn't touch one that wasn't beat for much less than I paid for mine new. No shop within 150 miles of me had a used one. They said most trade ins are spoken for fast. And mine came with a warranty.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I personally think you are throwing money away. RZR are expensive, the market for ultra 4 buggies is somewhat soft right now.
I personally think you are throwing money away. RZR are expensive, the market for ultra 4 buggies is somewhat soft right now. I know of several buggies that have been listed on here and have sold for 20k below asking price. By the time you build a RZR the way you want you wont have much if any money left over from your ultra 4 buggy, and you will have a rig in my opinion is less capable, possibly has an even lower resale value, and just simply not as cool. I have a U4 buggy and love it. I still enjoy trail wheeling with my buddies that have normal rigs, but I can have a blast letting it rip when I want, and race when I want.
I wish it were that good financially. I probably couldn't get $40K for my buggy and any RZR I want to drive I'll realistically have $30K into. Realistically, I'd be trading my buggy for a fully build RZR for close to the same money. Then from what you guys are saying, selling it for 1/3 - 1/2 that a few years later.

Wow, that does sound pretty retarded now that I actually face the truth of it. :shaking: I don't have money to be throwing around like that. Or if I did, I wouldn't for long! :laughing:

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Here's my take, I don't have a RZR, but I got a smoking deal on a Maverick.

After spending untold hours helping everyone else build their rigs, only to have them broke, sold, or just flat not get used, I bought my Can Am.
I've been around racing and off roading all my life. I was slammed with work, I tried building a class 1450 desert truck, only to get 2/3rds of the way through it and already be out classed by other rigs.

The Polaris dealer and Can Am dealer are right around the corner from my shop. I got a flyer in the mail from Can Am about having several of last years models on clearance and after talking with Polaris, I bought the Can Am on price as I'm not really a fan boy of either machine.

I could have easily built a crawler, Ultra 4 type car, or finished my truck. I have the tools and shop. One thing I found in short supply was time. The Maverick is already built. It runs all day on 10 gallons of gas. I can tow it (Short range, to riding areas near me) behind my wife's Liberty.

Can you spend a shit ton with add ons, hop ups, tires, etc...? Absolutely. But what I found was the more you mess with them, their reliability starts to drop and you end up in the same vicious cycle. I've done a few things to mine, and with good driving can go 95% of the places my buddies go. I plan on doing the Rubicon once my leg heals.

I think what really surprised me was how quick it is. It'll bounce off the rev limiter at 79 MPH really easy. I would go so far as to say its deceptively dangerous, and a [email protected] load of fun.

So I say if a RZR is what does it for you, do it. You'll spend way less time building and wrenching. You'll spend way less on fuel. Don't get me wrong, I love building and wrenching, but I do it for a living, and it started to lose its appeal as a hobby. I just want to roll out, have fun, come home, hose it off and put it away.
That's the experience I'm looking for. Like my ATVs are to a point - use, wash, and ride. However, as with anything, if you play hard, you have to wrench a lot too. I expect at least some of that. And realistically, I'm not going to be the guy who drives slow. I poke around in my big diesel every day to keep it nice. When the trailer door drops, it's time to rip.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts