Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To make the heating system work in recycle mode without the A/C running, I installed a switch in the face of the heater control panel tying it into wire C90 20 LG (light green) connector C3 on the right-hand, backside of the control panel (1997-2000+?). This is the 28v discreet signal for A/C to the PCM and will allow recycle mode with heat only. Just like the a/c on/off switch found in some cars. Another plus to this mod is face and feet heat without having the A/C activated. With an automatic transmission (and manual) this also prevents the PCM from cycling the engine idle up/down when in defrost mode, I like crawling rocks and hate that.

The service manual states that the control panel is not serviceable except for changing the switches on the back. If you pry up on the clips on the back you can separate the housing from the cover, remove the control knobs and remove/open it. With the lighting array for the front panel there isn’t a lot of room to add a switch. I located a place to dermel out a mounting hole to the right (lower) of the mode select control knob. Added a Radio Shack disconnect plug to the back of the housing, when you tie into the wiring on the C3 connector there has to be some way of disconnecting the panel from the harness to completely remove the control panel. Or mount the switch somewhere else?

If you have a 1997 or 98? TJ with the slider controls on the heater/A/C control panel the modification is basically the same except for the connector and pin identification on the back of the control panel. The wire number remains the same.
Control panel; connector C218, pin D, wire C90 20LG (light green).
This is from Chrysler document number 80a3b40b J968W-5.
It also looks like 2001-2006 are the same as the 2000…
HTH

1 - 1 of 1 Posts