Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is involved with converting and early bronco axle to bolt up to a TJ? i know u gotta chop off the c bushing bounts and then weld on the 4 link mounts and the trac bar mount, but what about the steering? how is that gonna work out? do i gotta swap/modify the knuckles? this is going on the front of my s10 but my solid axle kit uses a TJ 30 with no mods to the diff so i need it at TJ specs. have any of u guys done this swap?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The stock EB brackets line right up with TJ/ XJ/ ZJ coil width, so if you wanted to retain the stock brackets on the EB44, then all you'd really have to do is fab radius arm mounts for the frame. Also EB44s are all low pinions and run 260x shafts and joints stock. I'd look for a late '70s Ford HP D44 from an F-150 or Fullsize Bronco if you're still wanting to set up the brackets; just watch out for the cast on brackets and plan to cut it down some if you don't want it fullwidth.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
What about the coil buckets? Are they in a pretty close position as well to a stock TJ?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont want to convert to the radius arm setup, i already have the TJ 4 link goin on up there, so im just gonna torch em off. im not worried bout getting a HP axle cuz im only gonna run 33s so i think the 44 and 9" will handle em just fine. the thing im worried about is the knuckles.... how are they gonna work with the steering setup i got now is my question. and how much does it cost to get the TJ brackets mounted to the axle usually?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Rubicn Express makes a complete axle bracket kit that goes for $400; the brackets are super beefy too.

As for the steering, I'd do custom links and drill out the tops of the knuckles for either heims or TREs. Heres a pic of Matt Andrews' EB44 front under his XJ.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Nice setup, any idea on how much clearance is gained/lost by switching from the 30 to the 44?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Anything is possible, it's just a matter of the amount of work you want to put into the project.

Here's some pics of my 44 front (donor 79 F250):

http://community.webshots.com/album/61826832jXOEGM

and

http://community.webshots.com/album/62177992mjGMAu

The rubicon express front brackets retail for $400, but the street price is more like 225-250 with shipping. My steering setup will be changing this weekend, but this will give you some ideas.

Can't really say how a stock eb 44 matches up, but if you get a bracket kit you can make it into a TJ axle.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
pyros46290 said:
thanks but do u got any pics of that with the TJ setup?
XJ and TJ front suspensions are identical. As you can see, Matt retained all the Ford brackets and used the radius arms. He drilled the tops of the knuckles out for 3/4" heims and made his own links. My point being that the design of the suspension doesn't really have a bearing on how you set up the steering; there's more than one way to skin a cat. I thought those shots would give you an idea of how to go about setting it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts