Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since chevy 44's are easier to come buy, would it be worth it to just cut the C's, turn it over and put reverse cut gears in it and re-weld the C's. Or is there something I'm missing and it's a lot harder than this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The tires would turn the wrong way, since the pinion would be on the wrong side of the ring. Reverse cut (along with being bad terminology) doesn't mean that they turn any different.
P.S. SEARCH, it's open to every one:shaking:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Since chevy 44's are easier to come buy, would it be worth it to just cut the C's, turn it over and put reverse cut gears in it and re-weld the C's. Or is there something I'm missing and it's a lot harder than this.
:shaking: You're missing a lubrication, High Pinon reverse spiral gears won't fit LP housing,etc...ah shit just do some reading here: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm Mr N can explain better than me.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
:laughing: right click, save as :laughing:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:shaking: You're missing a lubrication, High Pinon reverse spiral gears won't fit LP housing,etc...ah shit just do some reading here: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm Mr N can explain better than me.
"The gears are not interchangeable with gear sets that are designed with the pinion below the centerline of the ring gear, however the carrier is. Reverse Cut refers to the direction the ring gear is cut for reverse spiral housing. The axiom of the reverse cut is to strengthen the gear while in the front drive axle of operation. Standard cut gears can not be swapped with reverse cut gears, however in the Dana 44 the ring gear carrier can be swapped."

This is right off Mr. N's site, epxlain to me why reverse spiral gears will not fit a LP housing when the carriers are interchangeable. I have not done this myself, so I don't know, and the search on this site is not the greatest tool.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You've already been told that it won't work.
Quit arguing the point, especially since you are arguing from a position of complete ignorance, against folks who have a lot of knowledge in the matter.

I don't imagine anyone here really feels like going into D44-101 with you. This is all pretty much under-graduate material.

Adjust your plan, and move on.

·
Registered
698 Posts
:stirthepot: Come on guys, cut the guy some slack. We should all encourage him to build it this way and also flip the rear axle upside-down to match. That way he'll have 2 high pinion axles on a vehicle that goes backward really fast! :D:homer:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
don't put different gears in the housing, just flip it and reweld the inner knuckles on. if it comes with 3.73s you should be good for 40 inchers.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
"The gears are not interchangeable with gear sets that are designed with the pinion below the centerline of the ring gear, however the carrier is. Reverse Cut refers to the direction the ring gear is cut for reverse spiral housing. The axiom of the reverse cut is to strengthen the gear while in the front drive axle of operation. Standard cut gears can not be swapped with reverse cut gears, however in the Dana 44 the ring gear carrier can be swapped."

This is right off Mr. N's site, epxlain to me why reverse spiral gears will not fit a LP housing when the carriers are interchangeable. I have not done this myself, so I don't know, and the search on this site is not the greatest tool.

Because your reading comprehension sucks. See bold text above. Apparently you missed the thing about being above or below the pinion centerline.

Tell you what, go ahead and try it. Flip the diff and give it a shot...then post the results.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts