Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NAPA r12 AC machine and I want to switch it over to r134a. I have always used combo units at work but now I have this one. I do not use R12 much anymore so I want to switch the hoses and connectors over to do R134a. As far as I can tell it should just be that simple or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I have a NAPA r12 AC machine and I want to switch it over to r134a. I have always used combo units at work but now I have this one. I do not use R12 much anymore so I want to switch the hoses and connectors over to do R134a. As far as I can tell it should just be that simple or am I missing something here?
I can not remember the chemical name of the solvent used for flushing, basically removes the old oil and junk....

Google popped this up:
FJC Flush Solvent
ToolTopia.com - Search

Once flushed, and adapters fitted to your AC machine, you should be good.

EDIT: MSDS fail - used to use that to figure out what was in the solvent....
http://www.fjcinc.com/pdf/acflush_2032_2128.pdf

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Some machines use a hermetic compressor to pump the refrigerant. Your best bet would be to swap that over with one from a recent refrigerator.

Otherwise you'll be getting mineral oil in your 134A. Dunno if it'd hurt anything though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have an oil type compressor, simply switch to a synthetic oil and the machine will work fine.

The 134a will have issues with the mineral oil used by R12 equipment.

I have both oil-less and oil type recovery machines. The oil-less machines pump every blend available. The oil-type just needs the proper oil in the sump for the refrigerant that we are recovering.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK here is what I am working with.

Everything seems to be working on it currently. Not sure about what was asked about the pump if it is oil less or not. If I need to take it apart to see what is in there I will.

Let me know what I need to do.

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Take a panel off and show us the inny bits. After a quick google search I can't find much info on the model number, but I only put about 30 seconds into it.

I'm betting it has a hermetic compressor in it, but I could very easily be wrong.

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Yup, that guy in the bottom of the first pic is a hermetic refrigeration compressor. It's got an oil sump in the bottom of it that you can't drain.

Pull that bitch out, flush the lines with denatured alcohol, and then pull another compressor from a refrigerator that uses 134A [because it'll have the proper oil in it] and braze the proper connectors to the ports.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just need to find an old fridge that uses R134A, swap that bitch out, and change the lines? If only I was on the eastern seaboard, I bet I could find one cheap. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yup, that guy in the bottom of the first pic is a hermetic refrigeration compressor. It's got an oil sump in the bottom of it that you can't drain.

Pull that bitch out, flush the lines with denatured alcohol, and then pull another compressor from a refrigerator that uses 134A [because it'll have the proper oil in it] and braze the proper connectors to the ports.
It can be drained. Pull it out and dump it. Refill with correct oil the way it says in the book.

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
It can be drained. Pull it out and dump it. Refill with correct oil the way it says in the book.
Good luck getting the oil out of the service port... Could probably turn it up so the service port is the lowest point, then pressurize the suction port...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Good luck getting the oil out of the service port... Could probably turn it up so the service port is the lowest point, then pressurize the suction port...
Attach the service port to a vacuum pump. Pump it down. Flush, repeat, flush repeat.. you should be OK.

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Attach the service port to a vacuum pump. Pump it down. Flush, repeat, flush repeat.. you should be OK.
Service port does not have a diptube into the oil.

Fuck it, run it as is. You probably won't notice a difference, and if you do, you couldn't use the machine anyways.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have worked in some hacktacular shops in the past. Knowing what I have seen others do on a daily basis, for you to use this at home I would just use it for 134 and call it good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since the manual says to use vacuum pump oil, the machine can be used for r134a. Drain most of the oil by tipping the unit upside down and upright then upside down repeatedly. Then fill with synthetic oil and you will get many happy miles out of it.

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Since the manual says to use vacuum pump oil, the machine can be used for r134a.
:confused:
all the vac pump oil I've encountered is mineral oil

that compressor runs its oil through the lines. There are oil seps in it, but they are never close to 100% effective.

I know seals in r12 systems [mineral oil] seem to work with with hfc oils, but the other way around I'm unsure of. Petroleum is some nasty stuff to just about anything rubbery.

Then again, i'm assuming that you're assuming that because it specs vac pump oil that it has a seperate oiling system.

eh whatever I'm just rambling while tired

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The blue cylinder in the front behind the door is a filter. It has an option to add a second. I have been looking for a newer fridge but I have not had much luck. they are all either old, or way more $$$ then I want to spend right now on this. I will keep looking for another compressor as I am in no hurry on this project. Just not sure it is wise to dump a bunch of money into this thing as I may never get it back if I needed to sell it. Maybe if I get bored this winter and have not found a compressor I will dry to get the oil out of it and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just need to find an old fridge that uses R134A, swap that bitch out, and change the lines? If only I was on the eastern seaboard, I bet I could find one cheap. :flipoff2:
Did you get your r12 machine to 134 to work properly? I got the same thing and want to change it over. Tips?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts