Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4rnrick saw something similar being used by another club member (Thank you Andy) and made one, then I decided to make one this weekend after seeing Rick using his.

Basically this thing connects inline with the hose from my OBA and then to my valve stem. There is a 1/4 turn ball valve upstream from the pressure gauge wich allows me to turn off the flow of air. Once the air flow is off the gauge reads what pressure is in the tire. So what this does is allows me to take a very fast reading of what pressure is in the tire instead of having to pop the chuck off and take a reading with a gauge. (I'm super anal about tire pressure so all you who do it by "that looks good" can take a flying leap :D ) Just as fast as I can flip the lever on and off is how long it takes to check air pressure now.

I also made the hose long enough that I can lay the gauge and lever assembly on top of the tire so I have to work even less by not bending over :grinpimp: I also used a swivel barb on the hose end near the gauge so the hose can rotate facilitating reaching the valve stem at any angle. (I use goodyear instalock hose and fittings which do not require hose clamps.

Any way, just thought I'd share. It also works for airing down, just don't connect the oba side and open the valve.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do you see what you did..?!?! Now I GOTTA make me one... :cool2:

It looks like the gauge goes up to, what, 160? Just wondering how accurate the reading can be in the lower part of the range if it goes up high enough to read the output pressure from your compressor.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the gauge is pretty long on the range, but that's what I had laying around this weekend. I thought about getting a 0-60, but my tank pressure is set at 125 or so and I didn't know if the inital blast of 125psi into a 0-60 gauge would screw it up or not?? Anyone with thoughts on that?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I did somthing similar to that, except I hook it up to all 4 tires at a time, has a valve I can release pressure to air down way fast, just shut the blowoff valve and it shows the pressure of all 4 tires, then hook up a shrader valve to the little 6 way splitter and you can air back up!

Sorry chad I know you will read this, I was about to have you make one, but when I went to evco I saw I could get it so much cheaper. I payed 33 bucks for mine! I will post a pic when I get a digital camera. The only down side of mine, is to get the chucks off that plug into the tire, you have to hold them so pressure from the other tires doesn't release! Hope that makes sense, probably not though...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm really more concerned about getting the same (not necessarily specific)tire pressure in all tires. The gauge in the picture is incrimented in 2lb hash marks so I can just match all tires to a certain hash mark. It seems that if my rear tires have more than a 5lb difference on the road the detroit in the rear likes to go BANG a lot. If the tire pressure is even I never have a problem out back.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
klif02 said:
I did somthing similar to that, except I hook it up to all 4 tires at a time, has a valve I can release pressure to air down way fast, just shut the blowoff valve and it shows the pressure of all 4 tires, then hook up a shrader valve to the little 6 way splitter and you can air back up!
I've seen this too, however the only drawback to the "octapus" style is that you have all that extra hose running around.

I talked to Rick tonight and he said it took him 7 minutes total to air up after wheeling using the tool he built (That's from stopping the truck to getting back in in 7 minutes!) Rick has just put in a rotary York and is loving it after having converted over from quick air two which took about 15-20 minutes to air up his 36x13.5 Iroks. I always used to beat him airing up, now I guess we'll have to race. :D And the vehicular cold war arms buildup continues... :shaking:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yah it is a bit extra hose, but the pressure for all tires is in one spot, and it all fits nicely in my cheapie k-mart or some odd brand jumper cable pouch! So it packs down pretty tight actually!

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Andy (the guy that I got the idea from) has a 0-60 psi guage on his and he says he has blown the gauge a couple times from peging the needle so far (from years and years of using it) so On mine I got a 0-100psi gauge. and it has 2 psi increments. Works good for me. When I air down I hav a ATV gauge I use that is from 0-8 psi with 1/2 psi increments so I can very accurate at these low pressures.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I use a 0-30 gauge setup like that 1/2 incurments, & on road I run less pressure in the rears, less weight back there, so why would I want all 4 with the same pressure , If I want a stiff ride and uneven tire wear I would run the same in all 4:D

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Thats killer :D

Whats next !? gauge/on-off lever inside the cab
Why not Go totally trick and put a short coil hose hidden inside each fender
then just snap on to all 4 tires , get back in cab and turn on the air valve, and link it all up using one gauge and 4 small levers to monitor how much in each tire ! or 2 levers- 1 for front 1 for rear,
you could even use for airing down :D
Got your heads really going Now :p

Actually I use C02 so will the cold air affect the gauge accuracy?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would think that if you are anal about having all 4 tires at the same pressure, a system that ties all 4 tires together would be preferable. I have an "octopus" set-up with a 3-way manifold (one in and two out - L and R), with a pressure gauge on the manifold. It makes deflating and inflating easy, with no runnign from tire to tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts