Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Willys Fan
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch! There's not a lot of good options for robust four cylinders. I sure like the way a four banger packages up in a Willys, and this looks like it would be a really cool option- except for that $ number....Yikes!

· Willys Fan
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 3RZ sounds like a great, reliable engine. I've never worked on a swap using one, and had the impression that the easiest approach is to go with a Toyota transmission to mate up to it. One thing I found appealing with this LS head engine is that the block is a standard chevy bell housing pattern and all the traditional transmission set ups like a chevy adapted T-18 would fit up. Fun stuff to think about while I finish my current , taking forever, build...

· Registered
378 Posts
If that's the one introduced at PRI this winter it's pretty cool. I wonder how "reliable" it would be in a real world application.. . I mean, the power figures they claim exceed the ones of a stock 5.3 LS....I pop those pretty easily....I wonder what a 4 banger could endure really....and the pricetag....
Maybe if it's produced, and a few guys beat them, and they prove worthy.....then I'd bite. Until then though...

· Registered
378 Posts
It would package nicely. And pack a punch with those numbers... That price tag gets me a nice SBC though....and that, I can beat to hell and back.
Granted, I don't think I'd ever own a cj of any vintage .. but that bastard in a Sammy?? Heck yeah. Or one of the Sploders, but not at that price point ,ever, in a explorer.

· Registered
378 Posts
I read it could be around 30k or something for it. Have you checked into sprint car engines? Some classes run a 4 cylinder which is essentially a half of a 350.
I'll admit I know hardly anything of sprint cars. 30000$. Yeah... I'll stick to junkyard LS. Or build a sick 3rz or even a monster 1uz for that price tag, likely afford tires too lol.
Although, yeah. That LS 4-pot seems fun.

And now, ima Google me some sprint car Tech.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts