Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1992 RRC, blue.

I've been hunting a coolant leak. It's crafty. What are sources of leakage that could cause a puddle forward of the valley on top of the water pump? Where's the weep hole on these pumps? I've checked the two heater hoses, and they don't appear to leak. The thermostat gooseneck is sealed as well. It leaked about a half-gallon on a 30 mile round trip today. :(

Also, the leak isn't obvious when it's idling in the driveway at operating temp.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Weephole is on the bottom of the waterpump, under the pulley. Probably not your source unless it's magic antifreeze. The weephole is kind of a bitch to see but once you do, you can watch it for leakage.

My guess is the heater hoses on the front side if that's where your finding the coolant. Yep, they get hot and the coolant sometimes evaporates before you can catch it moist on the hose connections. (mine did that exact thing -found my leak by pressure testing cold engine) The other alternatives are any coolant passage close to there and the wind is blowing it around. And.... the happy fun intake manifold gasket.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked for a pressure tester online w/ no luck. Has anyone put a schrader tire valve in the expansion tank for a $0.50 alternative?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Do not exceed 20psi. Test at 8-12 if possible. Maybe a bicycle pump?

JP

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Had the same issue.

Those two small hoses can be the culprit. Your t-stat housing can also be the culprit...if you pinch the tstat in the housing when you re-tighten everything up.......when you do that it only spits out coolant when the tstat is cold, but when it is open it appears normal.

Usually giving the upper radiator house a squeeze will generate enough pressure to see if its leaking near the t-stat housing.

My bet is the the heater hose however.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
proletariat said:
I've looked for a pressure tester online w/ no luck. Has anyone put a schrader tire valve in the expansion tank for a $0.50 alternative?
A might vac pump would work, just remove the small hose that is used as a bypass and hook it up that way.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I put a tire valve in the expansion tank and pumped it up with a bicycle pump. The pressure was low enough not to register on the gauge. The tank is pretty thick, so it holds the valve fine without cracking. I used a valve for a 0.453" hole which equals a 29/64" bit. Cost: $1.98 for two valves, $3.99 for a chinese bike pump, $0.005 for a dab of RTV for lubrication and sealing.

It was a hose behind the pump. The harder one to change.

Thanks for the hepl.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Did you use a valve for a tubeless tire? If so, that's a great idea, far better than the tester I'm making that uses the plug on the radiator.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you put it at the expansion tank, your cap will give way around 13lbs. I would think you'd want to block off the expansion tank(unless you are testing it).

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sachilles said:
If you put it at the expansion tank, your cap will give way around 13lbs. I would think you'd want to block off the expansion tank(unless you are testing it).
Is there ever an occasion when you would need to test the system at higher than 13lb if that's when the cap normally gives way? Any leaks occouring on any given day should take place at or below 13lb. :p I'm having my little moment here. Stop trying to rain on my parade :flipoff2:

And yes, PTS, it was a tubeless tire valve drilled in right behind the filler cap.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
uhhh....good point.

I shouldn't post until I have caffiene in me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts