Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TO make a long story short...

I went out to warm up the XJ monday morning after a night of playing in the 30" of snow we got. Noticed it wasnt warming up.. ie no heat. Soon after temp light came on(damn XJ's with idiot lights). Looked under neath and there was coolant all over the ground. That would explain the over heating and no heat. So i added almost 2 gallons of anti freeze and started it back up. Then I noticed its coming out of the bell housing. At the bottom of the bell housing there is a gap you can see up in. It was definetly coming from in there, and when you revved the engine it would come out of the starter as well. Im assuming its from it dripping down on the flywheel and getting splashed around. SO after seeing that my first thought was fawk I cracked the block. I go back in the house and pout for about a half hour, then go back out. Started it up.. warms up fine, getting heat and lo and behold no more leaking :confused: Drove it home(was at my parents) and still no leakage. Start it up this morning no puddle underneath and no leakage after starting it..... SO WTF I never seen coolant come out of the bell housing... and then stop on its own.

BTW its a 95 XJ 4.0 spd..

Any thoughts

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Water pump. As stupid as this sounds, I had the same thing happen to me. I thought I had a cracked freeze plug, so I took it to the dealer. Turns out the water pump was leaking and running along the block to the back and dripping down. Maybe try parking facing downhill and see if it still leaks from the back. OR - heater hoses? Right above the back of the block?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTT... little help here:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Top off the cooling system and the pressurize it, while cold, to about 10 PSI, then look for the leak.
Glycol coolant will glow under a black light, so you may want to use one.
If it is leakingat the back of the block behind the flywheel, it sounds like a freeze plug. But, as was stated, it could be traveling down the block from another location on the eng.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way it could be leaking into the bell housing by running down the block. Isnt the bell housing sealed all the way around except for the bottom by the inspetion plate

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
THe bellhousing is bolted to the block, not sealed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know but youd think it be if were dripping on top of the bell housing some of it would rund down the side of the housing. Instead its all coming from inside

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I'mnot sure, but is there a freeze plug in the back of the block?

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I know the was on my Mustang, I haven't had the 4.0 out yet so I don't know. I would think so.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I can not remember for sure from when I had my engine out this past summer, nor do any of the usual repair manuals show any block plugs on the back of the block. I remember for sure, one for the cam bore, one threaded plug for the main oil galley. It seems like there should be one coolant jacket plug back there too.

Like stated before, I would pressurize the cooling system and inspect for leaks. Stant makes a good cooling system pressure tester that is usually available at better parts stores.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thing that gets me is i doesnt leak now. I dont see a freeze plug resetting it self, and if its coming out of the bottom of the bellhousing... thats just weird.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts