Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in autozone today and I saw a product called Pro Blend 40 below. The can claimed 40 degrees reduction in water temp.$20.00. Has any one used this. Does it work. Glen

·
Registered
323 Posts
GlenBob said:
I was in autozone today and I saw a product called Pro Blend 40 below. The can claimed 40 degrees reduction in water temp.$20.00. Has any one used this. Does it work. Glen
These products are supposed to reduce surface tension for more surface area contact in the cooling system. I suppose they could work, the only one I tried didn't make a difference (it semed worse, but nothing to back that up).

If you temps drop 40 degrees, you either have serious under cooling issue's (might want a new radiator), or you thermostat sucks:flipoff2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't used that product but have used water wetter made by Redline , it did help to cool my temp by about 15 degrees

·
Registered
216 Posts
Water wetter brought mine down about 10 degrees.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Another positive vote for Water Wetter... About 10-15 degrees drop. I think Pep-Boys carries it on the shelf.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Water wetter sure as hell lowers your coolant temp by 10 possibly 12 degrees. I've seen it. Then my uncle told me how it works. Basically all it does is reduce the ability of the coolant to transfer heat. Meaing cooler coolant but warmer motor.

He's got an infared (spelling??) temp sensor and I've seen it with my own eyes. My temp gauge was reading 10 lower, but the motor was actually reading 5 higher. Flushed the system and refilled with antifreeze/water and the motor was actually 6 degrees cooler at idle than with the water wetter, even though the gauge was higher.

If you have cooling issues, it's a problem with the system, not the water.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't mean to augumentalive but thats not what water wetter dose, chemically it decreases the surface tention so that the water "acts" thinner (for lack of a better word) that way it penetrates deeper into the micoscopic valleys of the metal for a better heat transfer (in laymans term).
As for the test you did 5 or 6 degrees is pretty insugnificant for the engine block and could have been caused by a verity of factors, the outside temp differance between test, the antifreeze mixture (water alone can cool an engine 15 degrees over a 50/50 mix) so on and so on.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
No not at all, I've seen it. And in my opinion it's just not worth the extra effort. Sure 5 or 6 degrees ain't much difference, but I will take the cooler motor over all with regular temp coolant any day.

In a temp controlled shop, within a matter of 30 minutes. Same RPM with the only change in the coolant. Which was 50/50 with 1 bottle of water wetter and then 50/50.

Since he showed me that I have added a bigger mech fan, a new high flow water pump, new hoses and a new thermostat. That dropped the operating temp 4 times as much as water wetter ever could even dream of doing. :D

Once again, it ain't the coolant it's the system. If you're over heating, fix the system and forget about it. :D

On a side note, with over 3k into my motor I ain't taking any chances with it what so ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts