Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
1,763 posts and you don't know how this forum works?

Are you from the Hummer forum by chance?

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
The STT's are an amazing tire, great value, good treadlife, a sidewall with unique plies that resists tearing, and a tread pattern that works well all-around. If built in a sticky tire, it would be VERY competitive in even the highest levels of competition.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
The STT's are an amazing tire, great value, good treadlife, a sidewall with unique plies that resists tearing, and a tread pattern that works well all-around. If built in a sticky tire, it would be VERY competitive in even the highest levels of competition.
I almost thought the set I bought were stickies the tread compound was so soft. The corners started to roll after only one trail run in the XJ, not even hardcore rock crawling. Overall deep tread, look great, and balance well. I got them because I can get a hell of a deal at the local Discount Tires hub.

I like mine a lot, works well all around, I think the tread life is probably going to be about the same as an MT/r, but my junk doesn't get driven very often so that is a long time. Search the forums and you will find they are reviewed highly.

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
The "unique plies" is the fact that there are 3 plies the same thickness/type as the old version which was 2-ply, vs. others who run 3 thin plies to get the 3-ply sidewall. They're a bitch to build. :p

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
One of the 4by rags gave them a glowing review last year, but you have to take what they say with a big grain of salt.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
The "unique plies" is the fact that there are 3 plies the same thickness/type as the old version which was 2-ply, vs. others who run 3 thin plies to get the 3-ply sidewall. They're a bitch to build. :p
Yeah, like you'd know something about building tires! :shaking:

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I like mine a lot, works well all around, I think the tread life is probably going to be about the same as an MT/r, but my junk doesn't get driven very often so that is a long time. Search the forums and you will find they are reviewed highly.
I had a set of STTs on the rear of my truck and some MT/Rs on the front of it when I bought it. The STTs seemed softer and seemed to wear a bit faster than the MT/Rs did, but probably not enough faster to really worry about. I also thought they felt pretty soft.

IMHO, they are in the same category as the MT/R. They are a very nice compromise between a dedicated off road tire and a highway tire. I'd have no problems running another set of them if I didn't hate the Cooper dealer that we have here in town (not the tire manufacturers fault though).

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
I had a set of STTs on the rear of my truck and some MT/Rs on the front of it when I bought it. The STTs seemed softer and seemed to wear a bit faster than the MT/Rs did, but probably not enough faster to really worry about. I also thought they felt pretty soft.

IMHO, they are in the same category as the MT/R. They are a very nice compromise between a dedicated off road tire and a highway tire. I'd have no problems running another set of them if I didn't hate the Cooper dealer that we have here in town (not the tire manufacturers fault though).
Thie difference between an MTR sidewall and shoulder are night and day. Offroad Tires, as most things in this world, have improved with technology and experience within hardcore sports like desert race/rockcrawling. The Cooper STT is a new generation tire, just as the new stuff from most of the other companies. The MTR is about a decade old. It would be nice to see GoodYear step up and re-design their tire with newer ideas. Their tread design and rubber compound is fine, it's how the rest is assembled that would benefit from an update.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
STT's in teh 37" flavor will be my next "new" set purchase unless something better in the dual purpose catagory and price range comes along.

Plus with all thats going on in this country economically I feel compelled to buy more American than ever.

FWIW, I run Pro Comp Xterrains (37 x 13.50 x 17) now and like them, Cooper makes PC's from what I hear? I used to have MTR's and was denied a couple of obstacles around here on them, have conquered them easily with the PC's

Dustin, my PC's have the XTC logo on teh sidewall, is this the same compound as the STT or the PC XMT?

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
FWIW, I run Pro Comp Xterrains (37 x 13.50 x 17) now and like them, Cooper makes PC's from what I hear? I used to have MTR's and was denied a couple of obstacles around here on them, have conquered them easily with the PC's

Dustin, my PC's have the XTC logo on teh sidewall, is this the same compound as the STT or the PC XMT?
Yes, Cooper makes all Pro Comp, Mickey Thompson, and Dick Cepeks. The STT and and 3 ply PC are the same carcass. I cannot remember what runs what compound... i havent hung out over at the tread tuber in a long time.

As said, the old style STT vs. new style is night and day difference. Its not even close to being the same tire anymore.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
XTC is on all of the new gen Pro Comp tires...anything that was designed after the 37" X-Terrain years ago, has XTC. The regular AT and Muds don't have it. Not sure about the STT's, but I'm pretty sure they are the same, if not a similar durometer/compound.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts