·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Les Shwabb doesn't like BFGoodrich tires. I think it is mostly because they don't get to buy them as cheap as the other brands they sell. I would bet money that you can find bfg tires from a local or web tire store as cheap as Les will sell you the coopers. You can guarantee that you won't find the three ply sidewall or the technology BFG uses to build a tire in the coopers. BFG uses a different tire carcass/shell for different tread designs, while most other tire manufacturers use the same shell for all tread designs. I think that you will have the best luck with BFG's, Goodyears or Toyo's. All though only you can determine what you are going to use the tires for and how much abuse you are going to put them through.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
If I remember right, the cooper tire in that tread design is the STT and may have been discontinued in the actual cooper line. There was a thread about 6 months ago about the different design from cooper that replaces the STT.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have a set of the new STT's they are a nice tire. Almost like an MTR but with bead protection and siping already! I would not get the old Coopers they howl like a bugger when they get worn and the rubber goes real hard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used the wildcat EXT's. They are super hard and seem like a long wearing tire. I thought that they sucked though. I used them for about a year. The chunked like mad just running them on the road and hard dirt. I never did try the rocks with them though. I would imagine rock crawling would only make them chunk even worse.

The new Cooper STT's look amazing. I tried getting a set of them in a 35 but the last time I checked the only thing available was the 31's.

I would avoid the Wildcats and get something better. You can get some pretty good stuff at a similar or better price.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
What tire you run will depend on what you are trying to do with it. Is it a DD or trail rig? I am assuming DD by the type of tire you are considering. Never ran MTR's but from all the info I've read and what my friends claim they are prob the best all around choice. Ran Coopers in the past and they sucked. But that was a few years back and that truck saw alot of road time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
try tirerack.com. i just got a set of 37x12.50x15 mtr's shipped to my door for $850.

what type of rig are you putting them on?
what type of wheeling are you doing?

my mtr's have held up great in the rocks. and they have good road maners, i have no complaints.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i drive a 87 runner and wheel hard dirt to sharp rocks (try to stay away from the mud) and push my rig farly "hard" ( no mercy :mad3: )
lookin for 33x12.5
the mtrs or bfgs are the same price, $650 shipped to my door with a $75 mail-in rebate

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I had some cooper 33s once and the tread peeled off of one of them on the highway and did some damage to my truck. they paid for the repairs and new tires though.

·
Premium Member
40,287 Posts
Schwab probably suggests Coopers because Cooper warranties their tires from the factory, BFG does not. So, if you're getting a BFG with a warranty, it's because the DEALER (not BFG) is backing it.

As for the old STT - I ran those, BFG MT's, Uniroyal Laredo M/T's, and General Grabber MT's. The STT's were the loudest, but lasted BY FAR the longest. All were pretty equal in mud. The STT's & BFG's were the best on pavement, the Grabbers okay, the Uniroyals SUCKED on road (quiet & decent tread life, but WAY too much squirm). Personally felt the Coopers were the best "value" overall, though the Grabbers were AWFUL cheap :D

TEX

·
Registered
221 Posts
hard to beat that price on MTR's thats on the link, especialy with the $75 rebate you get on a set of 4 plus if you sign up for their lousy credit card you get another $50 off the set and 90 days same as cash, ive had those wildcats and mtr's and the mtr's lasted longer and are a better tire overall in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts