Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I am hoping we can hash it out one more time. I have 2 herniated disks in my neck from an old wrestling injury. I can't sit in seats for a long period of time without being in a ton of pain. So I will be getting suspension seats for my rig. I have alwayhs run the PRP seats, and never had a problem with them, but with the price of Corbeaus being so cheap, that option is pretty appealing.

Why are the corbeaus so cheap? Are they built like crap, or are they good seats as well? I know there are a bunch of vendors that sell these seats, but I want firsthand experiences (Both good and bad). The choices really are just Corbeau and PRP. I know Twisted Stitch is out there, Beard, Mastercraft, Jet Trim, but they are all WAY to high priced for me to purchase them.

Thanks
Dima

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Dima, I am looking at a reclining version of a suspension seat and of course the Corbeau's came up. But also there are the Smittybilt XRC Reclining Suspension Seats too.

Not to tack on to your thread, but I'd love to see the differences between the two or actually get a report on the quality of the Smittybelt XRC.

I know a bunch of people with the corbeaus. And they are very happy with them.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The 1 PRP seat I have had was the most comfortable seat I have ever had. I have been in corbeaus, twisted stitch, mastercraft and I now have a set of RaceTrim seats, (because of cost), and the PRP was a seat that I didnt care to get out of when we would stop on the trail, it was that comfortable. The PRP is my choice when COST isnt a factor.
These Racetrim seats I just bought are comparable to the corbeaus but a little cheaper.....
That is my .02.....

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
The 1 PRP seat I have had was the most comfortable seat I have ever had. I have been in corbeaus, twisted stitch, mastercraft and I now have a set of RaceTrim seats, (because of cost), and the PRP was a seat that I didnt care to get out of when we would stop on the trail, it was that comfortable. The PRP is my choice when COST isnt a factor.
These Racetrim seats I just bought are comparable to the corbeaus but a little cheaper.....
That is my .02.....

I agree 100%

I would always stay in the Jeep when we stopped with my PRP's. I have Corbeaus now and they seam fine but I would say just a little bit less comfortable.
That being said, I cant point to any one thing that looks, feals, or seams cheaper on the Corbeaus. And I dont think PRP's are really expensive. Probably cheeper than Maseter Craft, definitely cheeper than Twisted Stich.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've never run the Corbeau's and am supported by PRP but I'll give a completely unbiased opinion anyway.

I have a friend with the Corbeau's that I wheel with and lately have ridden with quite a bit. The seats are reasonably comfortable. I think the biggest thing you'll run into is that the Corbeau's aren't made with the same quality materials and will wear out a lot quicker leaving you spending more money sooner.

I don't know what their sales dept is like but if you can call and order a better material it would probably be worth the extra money.

Now the biased version, not because they help us out but because I ride in their seats everytime we race. I love my PRP's. We ordered them with cordura material on the seat portion and they still look like new.

I would call and ask the manufacturer what material that they sell lasts the longest no matter who you go with.

PRP

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
You get what you pay for with the corbeau's.. Between my dad, my brother and I--we've had 4 sets of corbeau's in our rigs.

Two sets had the black fabric, which quickly faded to blue.
Piping and stitching wore/tore easily.
On the set that was daily driven the seams started falling apart after less than 1 year use.

The set I had in my crawler were black vinyl and held up the best because I maybe used truck with those seats 8-10x before parting out that rig..

My next set will be either PRP's or Twisted Stitch...

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I am a fatass and had four great seasons on a set of the cheapest basic Corbeau Baja seats. I recently swapped to the Corbeau Baja XPs and they are amazingly comfortable. If you need a reclining seat I have a bunch of guys running the Corbeau RS seats with great results and only one ever had an issue in a comp rig where the recliner broke, but the RSs were never built for hardcore competition.

After looking at all the available seats I have never seen anything that I thought, "Ah ha, that is why Mastercraft/PRP/XYZ seat company charges more for their seats."

Corbeau FTW.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I think the biggest thing you'll run into is that the Corbeau's aren't made with the same quality materials and will wear out a lot quicker leaving you spending more money sooner.
PRP
This. If you're a Takamma (dig on Yota friends:flipoff2:) wheeler that only sees 6 trails per year, run what you can get a good deal on and is reasonable quality. If you spend ALOT of time in seats, racing, competing, or trail riding, spending the extra money up front will pay off in the end imho. I've had PRP's, Corbeau's, JetTrim's, PRP's, several different Mastercrafts, Renegades, etc. and there is a definite difference in both comfort and quality between all the brands.
We are shopping Sparco's right now for next season's race car, and for that type of seat nobody else is in the same arena quality wise from what we've seen. Mastercraft's are befond exceptional quality wise as well, and everything else seems to drop off from there. BTW, JetTrim's stitching is pure art.:smokin:
To answer the original question, I'd consider Corbeau's as "middle of the road" seats, with reasonable quality and "decent" materials. Great for "part time" recreational wheelers, probably not so great for someone that sees alot of seat time on a regular basis. .02

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
People that own PRP or have are pretty loyal once they have had a set. Not the cheapest but superior in construction and comfort.

The Cordura material (Ballistic Nylon) is very tough and takes a friggin beating.

Contact me for any PRP Questions you have.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Corbeau Baja XP's are the best seat for the money....not to be confused with the Baja SS's which bring the suck! Call Zach from AtoZ for pricing......:smokin:
Yes Baja SS's while nice compared to a OEM seat are not the best out there by far. Mine were a awesome upgrade from my stock SR5 seat's. I have sat in XP's and they are leaps and bounds better than the Baja's

I personally run PRP comp pro highback's with the air bladder in the lumbar area. I have a compressed L1 and have had issue's with my back for along time. The fact I can get different thickness and shape seat bottoms goes a long ways as well. My PS seat has a thicker cushion so it can be put on the DS for short people to drive my rig if needed:laughing:

Try and sit in a few different seat's and make your decision on your comfort not your wallet.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I am also supported by PRP, but I ordered my first set before we teamed up. I broke my back about 18 years ago. The pain in my lower back really gets to me on long drives. That being said, we raced the entire KOH last year and my back felt great the next day. I would not give my PRP's up for anything.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I bought a set of PRP's from a buddy of mine. All of my other friends have Corbeaus and the PRP's are hands down more comfortable on long runs and rollovers. Hands down I will never own any other seat except for a PRP.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I put Baja RS seats in my CJ and love them. It is a part time wheeler but they seem very comparable to my buddies PRP seats. Mine stays outside with no top most of the time and the material has held up well for 2 years with no issues. I chose these because they recline and they will accomdate bigger passengers. Most of my buddies are 36"+ waist guys so they need the extra width. I would buy them again.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Any input on what seat to put in my '04 Dodge? My stock seats are beyond horrible. I need something that will look somewhat "stockish" but I can sit in to drive 400 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
The most expensive boy howdy seat in the world isn't going to do you any good if it doesn't fit.

My point being..... We are talking about the Saftey of your spinal cord. Don't price shop for seats. Go to a show and sit in them all. Talk with the company owners and buy the seat that fits you correctly.

All companies , prp, beard, master craft, recareo, corbeau all make different price point seats and what ever company you choose will have a seat to match your budget. From low coast to high zoot.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the Corbeau Baja Ultra seats in my rig. I'm sure you can get more comfortable seats, but the price I got these for, and how I drive, I thought they would be good. And they are. I am more than happy with these seats. The side bolsters come waay up, though, so its a bit harder to get into your rig easily, but they hug your hips pretty good, and one trail I run is a side hill the whole way, and I don't hold myself into the seat at all, the side bolsters keep me in the seat and I just drive along happily. My dad has a bad back and neck, and he stopped coming with me when I had stock seats, so I switched to these, hoping he'd come out again. He finally tried it again, and has been out with me on my last three trips in a row now, and he says he's never stoved up the day after we ride together. Like I said, I'm sure there are more comfortable seats, but my Baja Ultras hug me tight, and are very comfortable. I think having them hold you like that is a love/hate thing, though. I love it, my dad loves it. The seats hold you in firm so you don't get all the side wiggle and jostling and you stay really still. One of my buddies likes his stock seats more, though, because he says the high side bolsters on mine feel wierd on his hips. Anyway, I'm more than happy with mine, I have the all vinyl black ones. I garage my Jeep, so they haven't faded at all, and the seams and piping seem fine so far. I've had them for about 9 months. I'm never tired or sore or sore ass when I get out of my jeep or at the end of the day any more. Just thought I'd share with you. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
People that own PRP or have are pretty loyal once they have had a set. Not the cheapest but superior in construction and comfort.

The Cordura material (Ballistic Nylon) is very tough and takes a friggin beating.
I'm running a set of PRP Premier Highbacks currently in my non race YJ. I went with them after sitting in a lot of different seats that others had installed in their rigs. I have the Cordura material as well and it is a great material for anyone that goes wheeling. Waterproof and you can just wash your seats off.

Due to me driving mine more in the winter time I also went and got the heated seat option. Yeah yeah I got a lot of shit for getting those but I can tell you that since it has gotten colder, every passenger that got in the Jeep hit that button within 2 minutes of getting in.

PRP gets my vote.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The most expensive boy howdy seat in the world isn't going to do you any good if it doesn't fit.

My point being..... We are talking about the Saftey of your spinal cord. Don't price shop for seats. Go to a show and sit in them all. Talk with the company owners and buy the seat that fits you correctly.

All companies , prp, beard, master craft, recareo, corbeau all make different price point seats and what ever company you choose will have a seat to match your budget. From low coast to high zoot.
You pretty muh nailed it right there. I will most likely be getting the PRP's (I have run a few ets in the past and never had an issue). Even though you have your head up your ass, you do have some descent tech in that head of yours... hahahahaha

Dima

1 - 20 of 23 Posts