Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
looking through their site it seems like a really cool design but not for automotive applications. they list the max RPM at 500, and the max operating torque for their biggest one at 3600 INCH POUNDS, divide by 12 and that isnt very strong...

awesome application for PTO shafts or any industrial app though.

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, on their videos page, the first video shows them in use in MacPherson Trophy Truck front CV shaft application. Its about 1/2 through

Video

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
500 rpm is going faster than you'd think with 37" tires.

3600/12 = 300

If that's per wheel, that would give you theoretically 1200 ft-lbs to play with

All that said, I don't think that is actually the joint pictured being used in the trophy truck.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ok a little more research on their site produced this:

30 degrees may not be that much, but the max operating speed is quite a bit more impressive

Ok, I can't link the table, but it gives a max operating speed of 5000 rpm. It would never see that in an independant suspension/wheel joint situation

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
reddwarf said:
500 rpm is going faster than you'd think with 37" tires.

3600/12 = 300

If that's per wheel, that would give you theoretically 1200 ft-lbs to play with

All that said, I don't think that is actually the joint pictured being used in the trophy truck.
Correct, that is not the trophy truck part. That is the only pics I could easily link that was not their entire page.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Well, it was a good find. I like the "true constant velocity" at all angles and the sealed bearings/no boots.

I see an awful lot of people replacing CV axles (esp in ricer cars). This could be the future. If they'd just make a 1410 series

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
This looks like the good shit!!!!

Check out that 1-1/4" version!!

2 of those with some tube in btwn would be an awesome driveshaft, assuming you weren't gonna run it on the highway.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
No useful tech to add here... yet.

Looked at their page, and they're right across town. In the short direction. Guess I've got another place to visit on my day off... :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
Check out that 1-1/4" version!!

2 of those with some tube in btwn would be an awesome driveshaft
Well, I think in a driveshaft application, 3600 in-lbs(same as 300 ft-lbs) wouldn't be enough behind a V8 or a 4 speed trans or low T case......also, axle gear ratio becomes a factor with the operating speed. 500 RPM @ the driveshaft with 5.13 gears gives 97.46 RPM @ the tires which is a pretty low top speed unless your rig is a monster truck.

Now that I think of it, 300 ft-lbs is incredibly lower than the 4000+ ft-lbs rating of the Spicer 5-297x........maybe these things aren't as hot as I was thinking. But still, it's cool tech and I hope to see some bigger/stronger versions that we can apply to our rigs

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I friend up the road has a 3 ton 4x4 International Loadstar and its front axel uses this same diseine (I think he called it an orbitalss :confused: ) only that its huge like the outer ring (if you can call it that) is about 15" across it looks like a U-joint thats been fliped inside out

·
Registered
365 Posts
I will help you guys out with some info.

The joint still has the same "downfalls" of a typical double cardan. But as their webiste shows, it does have some "new" technology.

And about the Macpherson shaft. That was a one off custom pair that was made completely from 300M.

It does have a lot of promise, but Cornay is still trying to get a big order for larger sizes to bring the proiduction costs down. They have the small ones on the Hummer and things of that nature, but none of the big ones are in much circulation.

I used to work for a company who was trying to promote this product, but it never took off for us either. I do however think it will take off in a few years(or less) now that off roaders know about it. Would be great for SWB Jeeps in the rear.

And there are a couple sizes they have made that are roughyl 1410 size. I think they have a 1350 or 1330 size as well. But again, not in production.

And they can handle propshaft speeds. So you guys don't have to worry about that. I think between 5 and 6k RPMS depending on version.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts