Pirate 4x4 banner

3281 - 3300 of 8397 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Fake news.
It's been spread throughout social media all over Europe lately and supposedly stems from MedUni Wienna.
They have made a public statement debunking it and it's been tested. Ibuprofen does not accelerate the development of covid19
No, it's not fake news! They have not conclusively ruled that ibuprofen is a problem, but the French study is real and in fact WHO and others are recommending to just use paracetamol for now. Asprin is also a no-no.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Post test - what were the doctors instructions re: treatment?

I’m curious only because people seem to be clamoring for tests, but I don’t see much about the treatment options.
That is a good question. If we choose to ride it out at home, what is the recommended treatment?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
No, it's not fake news! They have not conclusively ruled that ibuprofen is a problem, but the French study is real and in fact WHO and others are recommending to just use paracetamol for now. Asprin is also a no-no.
Modified my post.
Yet another unknown for now. Either way - the alleged report from Wienna was definitely BS.
We've seen all kinds of BS reports of do's and don'ts. One was that drinking hot beverages would kill it :homer:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
So apparently 6 out of 7 corona virus cases are undetected. That means that the reported ~200,000 (confirmed) cases worldwide is actually more like 1.4 million; with a total death toll of ~8,000 (worldwide), that actually makes the probability of death about 0.6%, not the 2-4% being reported by the mass media.

"Stealth" coronavirus cases are likely fueling the pandemic, and a whopping six out of seven cases could be undetected, according to a new study.

Six out of seven, or 86 percent of all COVID-19 cases were not reported in China before the implementation of travel restrictions, according to a study published in the journal Science and funded by the National Institute of Health.

Using a computer model, researchers tracked infections before and after travel bans on Wuhan, China, the virus' origin, on January 23.

The study found that while undocumented infections, or infections in those who experienced mild to no symptoms, transmitted the disease at a little over half the rate [46 percent to 62 percent] that documented cases did.

Still yet, undocumented cases were the infection source of 79 percent of cases due to their prevalence.

"These undocumented infections often experience mild, limited or no symptoms and hence go unrecognized, and, depending on their contagiousness and numbers, can expose a far greater portion of the population to virus than would otherwise occur," the study found.
The total number of confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus worldwide has now surpassed 200,000, according to Johns Hopkins University, while the death toll has topped 8,000.
Or is my math wrong and I should be panicking now?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Now consider tens of millions and even hundreds of millions. You don't think people are staying home en masse? Yes they are. I live where there's 5 million+ and it's almost a ghost town after 8pm. Stores are darkened earlier, merchants who are still open don't have anyone inside, and vast parking lots are empty by 5 or 6p which just last week were... teaming with activity.

I don't do strip malls but America has joined me as of late. :flipoff2:
From this reply I'll assume there's decent movement before 8pm. Glad it only spreads at night. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
So apparently 6 out of 7 corona virus cases are undetected. That means that the reported ~200,000 (confirmed) cases worldwide is actually more like 1.4 million; with a total death toll of ~8,000 (worldwide), that actually makes the probability of death about 0.6%, not the 2-4% being reported by the mass media.

This is what I have been trying to say. You can't slow, or stop a virus, and travel from and to China within US was going on while this was spreading there.

I doubt the American people will be able to maintain this insanity. My wife worried all weekend and she's already over it, and ready to forget about it. When people start turning off the news, and quit logging to Facebook every minute, it'll slow down.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That is a good question. If we choose to ride it out at home, what is the recommended treatment?
It's a virus. You can only treat the symptoms. Keep the fever down, and if you can't breathe you need assistance. Bacterial infections use antibiotics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So here's the problem with the news reporting on science articles: they don't know what the fuck they're reading because journalists are fucking idiots.

That article from Science is talking about how they ran a simulation in a computer to try and figure out how it spreads. Epidemiologists love that sort of shit but it doesn't necessarily jive with real life. Hence the gigantic error bars on their data.

So should you still be worried about a bug that is spreading at Spanish Flu rates? Yes. Should you be panicking? I wouldn't go that far just yet.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Here is the stupid shit that happens here and everywhere else. My sister in law, who is an RN, appears to have the bug. She had her nephew drive her to the ER. My nephew then returns to his moms house, picks her up and they both go shopping at walmart. The nephews mom went to work the following day and told her coworker The two sister in laws and nephew are now under quarantine. :homer:

I work retail in a small town and subject to the stupid shit above. I woke up with a headache and cold like symptoms today and will be staying home. Most of my co workers are in their 70's, have heart conditions, copd, diabetes, hbp and or smoke.
This is the most fascinating and dubious thing about viruses. It's too late, because you were probably contagious 1-2 days BEFORE any symptoms showed up. Now, your peak contagion will be when the symptoms show up, but even before that you could probably easily infect someone with a weakened immune system.

You guys should research H1N1 more. I know, not as contagious, not as deadly, blah, blah, blah. The insanity was the same. It was a novel virus. No one is immune. They anticipated the world ending. Lots of people got sick, lots of people died.

This isn't special. Viruses have been wreaking havoc on mankind for centuries. :flipoff2:

The viruses entire purpose as a living organism is to survive, to survive it must spread. If you guys want some good reading while your hiding in your bunkers, order The Hot Zone from somewhere and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
So here's the problem with the news reporting on science articles: they don't know what the fuck they're reading because journalists are fucking idiots.

That article from Science is talking about how they ran a simulation in a computer to try and figure out how it spreads. Epidemiologists love that sort of shit but it doesn't necessarily jive with real life. Hence the gigantic error bars on their data.

So should you still be worried about a bug that is spreading at Spanish Flu rates? Yes. Should you be panicking? I wouldn't go that far just yet.
They did the same for the Spanish Flu, and for swine flu, and for the flu every year. All those numbers people quote for the flu showing 85 bajillion infected are speculation, prediction, modelling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They did the same for the Spanish Flu, and for swine flu, and for the flu every year. All those numbers people quote for the flu showing 85 bajillion infected are speculation, prediction, modelling.
Speculation from people who don't know shit about science in most cases. They skim the abstract from a paper and pretend to be experts. Lawyers do the same shit in court, only to get eviscerated by people like me who actually did the science.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Those computer models seem really pointless. Nothing can mimic real life circumstances.

Covering your cough and sneeze (entirely!), washing hands frequently, keeping your fingers away from your mouth (food), eyes, and nose while in public, and not licking door knobs and shitter seats go a long way. BUT, it's the responsibility of the sick to stop wiping their running noses with their bare hands and touching everything. We as adults can be conscience of not touching products, then touching our faces, but children don't. They're the flu and norro spreaders, because of this.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I got tested for it yesterday, and got my results back today—I’m positive. I’m 39, overweight, asthmatic, in good health otherwise. This shit is hitting me pretty hard. I’ve had a fever for I think 9 days now, controlling it with Tylenol and ibuprofen. I went to 3 doctors before I finally got someone to admit I was worth a test—“this isn’t a hot spot, you don’t have it”, “it’s just pneumonia, you don’t have it” to finally “don’t be weirded out when I show up to let you in the clinic in full PPE gear.” The difference wasn’t really in quality of doctors, though that climbed throughout. It was in availability of testing. Once there was actually a test kit available, they admitted it was possible I had it.

Anyway, so now I think I have viral-based pneumonia, which is much tougher to treat than bacterial pneumonia. I wouldn’t say I was immuno-compromised prior to getting this crap, but I was definitely already high-risk for a lung problem.

We’ll see how it goes from here. But this is much more than sniffles and a light cough for me. Walking around my house has me unable to talk, and I’m not always even up for a phone conversation. So, hopefully the testing denials are kinda behind us, so other people don’t get the runaround for 8 days like I did. I feel like I’d be in a better place right now if I hadn’t been chasing bullshit diagnoses.

Watch yourself, people.
McAlester OK only has 250 test kits available. Shit is going to hit hard if it gets here, to many meth heads.

·
Premium Member
20,128 Posts
I have seen quite a few articles saying ibuprofen can worsen the effects of the virus fyi.
IF you have it, some things - including Ibuprofen, CAN have an effect within YOUR body; simply said - it can replicate faster.

Certain Vitamins also do this btw. Can't recall what exactly, but often found in "Vitmins for men 50+"...

I place this under "going viral" right now, waiting for some more experts.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
My friggin range just closed trap night for 30 days. :crybaby2:
you'll have to find a new venue for your thigh highs
mine still has crab legs out until at least noon, and the brass jew only hisses at you if you have a fluted chamber HK or aluminum cased

ieatrocks is the only guy on here that'll get the reference :\

·
Registered
3 Posts
IF you have it, some things - including Ibuprofen, CAN have an effect within YOUR body; simply said - it can replicate faster.

Certain Vitamins also do this btw. Can't recall what exactly, but often found in "Vitmins for men 50+"...

I place this under "going viral" right now, waiting for some more experts.
If you see it on social media: it's 99% likely to be complete bullshit.

If the CDC or WHO are talking about it, then you should probably listen.

·
Registered
34,274 Posts
McAlester OK only has 250 test kits available. Shit is going to hit hard if it gets here, to many meth heads.
Again, though... who cares about the test? It doesn't cure anything. It just a binary have/don't have.

Have - then what? What are the immediate actions to take? What can be done at home?

Don't have - then what? What does the person have and what should he/she be doing for self care?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
One thing to mention about the Spanish Flu. It likely spread more rapidly due to the immune system weakness secondary to the malnutrition faced by a good portion of the world that was ravaged by WW1.

In fact, the US started fortifying foods in 1924, adding iodine to sale to prevent goiter, followed by adding Vit D to milk in 1933 to prevent rickets and later fortifying breads and cereals with thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, and iron in 1942. This was partly as a reaction to the poor nutritional status of our soldiers (and the nation as a whole) and the need for healthier men to go fight the next war.

The more you know. :flipoff2:

3281 - 3300 of 8397 Posts