Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so what do I need to look for on a Corp 14 for the rear of my Jeep? I've heard that you can buy them at Military parts yards for cheap w/ 4.56's and a detroit? Where can I pull that off? What kind of bolt pattern will it have in relation to a front Ford Dana 60? Will I need to do anything about the bolt pattern myself? Is there a specific year or model of vehicle to look for to get a 14 that will be most beneficial? Will I have to get aftermarket parts to make it stronger? What's the strongest parts to get for them? Do they make anything more than a 35 spline? Is there chromoly axle shafts on the market? Is there a disc brake conversion for them to fit 15" rims? what would be a good price to look for? I have no problem looking around in junk yards, but i need to know what to look for. I obviously don't know all that much about these axles so any information would be very helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The 14 bolt is a 30 splined 1.5" diameter shaft. Get a Full Floater off a newer (80's) Chevy 3/4 ton or 1 ton van or truck. The newer ones have drums that are removable without pulling the hub apart.
Advantages would be the large 1.5" shaft, large ring gear and the ease of setting up the gears. It is similar to a 9" in that you can dial in the back lash and just pull the pinion bearing housing to add shims for pinion depth. Some had massive 2.5" wide brakes, some had 3.5". Gears and lockers are cheap and welding is even cheaper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.