Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched but can't say I have found a good answer. I need some advice on where to weld my rear shackle hangers on my Runner. I have the 3" AP long travel springs and 1.5" longer shackles. (AP extreme lift kit)

At first I moved my rear spring mounts forward 6" and did not move my rear shackle hangers at all. The shackles were angled way back towards the frame. What I have done now is follow the AP instructions and moved my rear spring mounts 6" forward. I currently have my rear shackle hangers tack welded at about 2.75" back. I added 300 lbs to the back. I also have my topper on. I do not have any tools or a spare tire in the back.

The result is a 63 degree shackle angle. I plan to wheel with the topper off.

Does this seem about where it should be? If not where do you suggest I place the rear shackle hangers to get as close to 40-45 degrees as possible??

Front shackle is vertical. :(

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Iwould move the rear mount back another 1-1.5" see if you can get closer to 45. I have the 3" leafs from allpro too, I have a AP flatbed, with a spare my shackle angle is ~40-45*, rides perfect for me. droop is exellent and compression is good to, im my eyes thats the best angle for droop and compression.

the front of mine sits almost at vertical, probably at about 75* to be more accurate... take alook at my avatar (kinda hard to see) but the front does flex mad.

HTH

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
The way I did my front hanger (56" Alcans) was to measure the front half of the old springs (center bolt to front spring eye) and the front half of the new springs. Find the difference and use that number for the location of the new spring hanger:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension-III.shtml#LongerRearSprings

Then I sized the rear shackle to give me a good angle. I found my old 1.5" longer rear shackle was too short, so made a 3.5" longer one (7" overall).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will the shackle angle change with new springs when they are first used? I have just installed new 4" AP springs and did know if they will settle with use when they are new???

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KarmirToy said:
Iwould move the rear mount back another 1-1.5" see if you can get closer to 45. I have the 3" leafs from allpro too, I have a AP flatbed, with a spare my shackle angle is ~40-45*, rides perfect for me. droop is exellent and compression is good to, im my eyes thats the best angle for droop and compression.

the front of mine sits almost at vertical, probably at about 75* to be more accurate... take alook at my avatar (kinda hard to see) but the front does flex mad.

HTH
Ok I am not postive how you really measure a shackle angle. I am thinking my shackle is really 27 degrees back. The way I figured 63 degrees was simply putting an angle finder on the back side of the shackle. I know I need to compensate for spring settling as these are brand new springs. I don't think I want to move the shackle hanger back any further as that will give me a worse shackle angle, correct?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts