Pirate 4x4 banner

Corvette Fuel Filter/Regulator vs. Inline Check Valve

22K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  WTF-J 
#1 ·
1) Can anyone confirm or deny that there is a "one way" valve inside the corvette filter/regulator?

2) Has anyone used an inline check valve like this one available through Oreilly's -

They claim it flows as much as 3/8" line but between the resistance felt when blowing through it and the size of the ports down inside it

its just hard to believe that it wouldn't restrict flow at WOT and possibly cause a lean condition.

I need something to prevent back flow in order to maintain fuel pressure after initial prime. Fighting a hard starting issue.

Input?

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldnt run that, way too restrictive. Even if it were drilled out so it were -6 sized it'd be just enough. If you are having a hard start issue due to fuel pressure then just wire a seperate fuel pump relay that stays on with the ignition rather than cycles like most, assuming that's what you have now?

#4 ·
Been awhile since I pulled my car apart but I'm almost positive there's no check in the vette filter/reg. Have one at work that I can check tomorrow if you don't have a for sure answer by tomorrow.

If you are having a hard start issue due to fuel pressure then just wire a seperate fuel pump relay that stays on with the ignition rather than cycles like most, assuming that's what you have now?
I get worried when the fuel doesn't quit when the motor does. If it is fuel drain back problem why not just cycle the "key" a couple times?

#7 ·
check valve

I use 2 aluminum check valves like these on my jeepspeed. I use 2 pumps, one run by the computer and one on a hot switch. These are after the pumps so fuel doesn't pump back through the pumps when only one pump is on, (normal condition.) It runs 49lbs of pressure with a bosch pump. I have zero pressure lag at WOT. It gets about 5mpg, so there is some volume too. I have to let the pressure out at the manifold when priming the system, then never lose pressure. It can sit for a month and hold pressure at the manifold. ebay, $14.00

Attachments

#8 ·
#32 ·
Yeah, I saw that on ebay as well. There is also an OBX version for $25.

I wish they put some kind of flow #s with these things. For $60 I could run 2 of the cheaper units like -- < == > --
Alright, has anyone sourced the cheapest place to buy AN fittings?

not to be a dick, but I learned a long time ago, Poor people can't afford to be cheap. :(

#13 ·
I was having pretty bad fuel delivery/flow issues. had someone throw a PSI guage on it, turns out it wasn't providing enough PSI or for my 4.8L(same setup as the LS series, btw, i found it also didn't have enough flow). I put a new pump and the corvette filter on. and put a PSI guage on the fuel rail.

having the ability to see the PSI opened my eyes to all kinds of items. like the fact that right now if the rig sits for a bit, it runs down to 0 psi. I found a very slow leak in the line. it also showed me that the rig doesn't like to start when it's low on PSI in the rail.

If you haven't done so yet, might want to put an inline PSI guage to see what's going on. I still haven't figured out if it's the small leak or the corvette filter that's allowing the PSI to drop to 0 when sitting for extended times.

#21 ·
I personally would put the check valve right after the filter/reg rather than in between the reg and the pump. Thus eliminating the reg from the equation of keeping pressure in the rail. Obviously keeping everything as far back toward the tank as possible so that more of the line stays pressurized, and there is less to "prime".

Now if you're running 2 pumps to a single filter/reg you would have to run one between the off pump and the merge to keep the on pump from pushing past the off pump. As Bigburlynakedguy described.

#29 ·
#35 ·
So I had my walbro 255 pump fail New Years Day. After a few trips out and say 24hrs max time on the pump. I am running a wix filter regulator like stated by this topic. It has the return coming out of it.
I just wanted to pass this along. I was wondering if the filter was designed to feed fuel back through the return if it becomes clogged. This would keep your pump from dead heading. After speaking with the Wix Engineers I have found out they filter the fuel going to the engine and back to the cell. So if it does get stopped up you will not return fuel back to the cell. I think this is a bad design. But don't know any other filter that operates different. Just a heads up.

#39 ·
I was trying to see if there was a way to check it off the buggy. Cause I am trying to eliminate a bad pump or stopped up filter. I hate to fill the cell with a stopped up filter and a new pump and it was just the filter stopped up. Or the other way around. I am going to check the pressure tomorrow and then try changing the filter first. My Walbro is screaming and I believe it is dead. But I suppose it could be a clogged filter causing this also. Wish there was a better way to do this without starting over buying fuel parts.

I have a new Walbro Pump and Filter should be here tomorrow. Surely the filter didn't clog that fast. Maybe 24 hrs on it and the pump.
:shaking:

#40 ·
Often times a noisy pump is starving for fuel, so I would look for an issue in the pickup.

In my system, the 100μ pre-filter is basically a removable and serviceable screen. With that sitting in front of the pump, it keeps trash out of the pump without being so restrictive as to cause starvation/cavitation. It also helps to keep the post pump filter/regulator clean, as that filter's primary role is to keep the smaller stuff out of the injectors.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.