Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much i should charge a friend for labor on doing a complete build of one these rigs. i put a 4 inch lift, a shackle reversal, rear disk kit, new brake and fuel lines through out, completely rebuilt motor, redone fuel tank, family cage installed, racing seats, new front and rear gears and lockers, new front and rear inner axles and bearings(what a bitch) what would you expect to pay someone for doing all this?
thanks

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
nothing, I do all of my work myself :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Past tense? If you already did it, free. It is too late to discuss price at that point.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
naw, i can still charge, its a good friend, we figured we'd figure out the price at the end of the build, cus this was his first land cruiser, and mine as well

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Friend or Customer, there is a big difference if your not a shop. If your a shop then go with shop rates. If your not then I'd go about a third of a shop rate and then go lower depending on if he's a good friend and you wanna ride shotgun or not. Heck, My friends bring over the beer, buy their own parts and consumables and we have a good time! Otherwise if they use it they are asked to replace it in a timely manner. Pretty standard with all my buddies.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya im trying to figuer the shop rate, no beer nor food was brought, i did the work on my own, so im just needing to find out what the restoring shops charge, so i can go below

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
For fabrication I've seen shops charge $75/hour and for general work $60/hour in Idaho. Granted, we are a lot cheaper here than in Kalifornia. I bet a place like BTB charges $100/hour at least.

The only thing you could have done worse than what you did (not pricing prior to work) is done the work for a girlfriend. Not pricing prior to doing the work almost always ends a friendship. And this isn't just Cruisers.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Most mechanics around here in the bay area charge 90 an hour. ouch!

·
Registered
212 Posts
At this point, I'd just tell him how many hours you have in it and let him know a reasonable hourly rate and leave it up to him. You were, after all "learning" on his rig, so you may not have been as efficient as a guy who had done all that before on a LC. You need to decide how important the friendship is vs what you think your labor is worth. He's got a pretty good idea, if he bought just the parts. It ought to be worth the cost of the parts x 2 or x 3. Just a suggestion.
Ed

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
if you charge him then you are implying some sort of responsability for quality and function of work. If it is your friend you should tell him the hours and let him decide as stated above. That way everyone is happy , however he may expect some sort of customer service if there are problems. Don't charge your bro's .. It will get you more payback in the long run and then he owes you one which is a very favorable position in the wheeling world.

·
Registered
6 Posts
charging friends

never works out. especailly after the fact. if you feel your time is worth something then charge. but what kind of friend is he does he do favors for you or does he charge. i have never built a truck, but i have done lots of work for friends thats what friends do. i would say you are on a slippery slop tread lightly.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm with these guys. When I do work for friends and only if they dont help and are willing to pay. I tell them how many hours and how much a shop would have charged (which usually they know). I always knock hours off if I dont know what I'm doing.

I too am a college student as well as most of my friends, I spend money on tools and it's nice to get some pay off on it. On the other hand I make sure they know it workes fine when it leaves. I make them buy all their own parts so I'm not responsable if they go bad.

If they help and supply beer and food then it's always free.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
jammindubs said:
naw, i can still charge, its a good friend, we figured we'd figure out the price at the end of the build, cus this was his first land cruiser, and mine as well
Since it was your first cruiser, I would factor in how much you learned and whether the quality of your work is up to the same standard as a more experienced builder or a shop.

Personally, when I was in a situation similar to yours, I let him pay me what he felt it was worth. I urged my friend to research costs and then decide what to pay. IMO it's the best way to preserve your friendship.

Phil

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya, i understand i toook longer than a shop, but im very meticulous in my work, which comes out to a top quality product, ill have to post some pics of my work. i even rebuilt the motor that hadnt run in 10 yrs to pass smog first try without driving the rig. im trying to find someone that got their rig built at a shop, then deduct how much to charge, im thinkin bout jus goin for like a grand?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Without knowing a lot more details I would guess around 4K-6.5k. Like I said, need a bunch more details. I would be happy with $2500 from a buddy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
here are some local rates ..Mechanic work 65 and hour ..Fab work 75 hour , refinish body work 55.00 Hour .. for the work you did 2000 -2500 seems like a screaming deal for a friend .... I am doinga 60 build up with a mechanic friend and I have set aside 3 grand so far...But I am going big on my 60

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
jammindubs said:
how much to charge, im thinkin bout jus goin for like a grand?
Wanna move to Texas and go to work for me at the same rate??? :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts