Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cost of fabrication materials & beginner welding questions...

I was thinking about stepping it up a little and learn to weld, pipe bend, etc.

How much does metal go for? 1/4" sheets, 3/16" sheets, etc as well as tubing? And where do you get it??

·
Vendor
2,594 Posts
I was thinking about stepping it up a little and learn to weld, pipe bend, etc.

How much does metal go for? 1/4" sheets, 3/16" sheets, etc as well as tubing? And where do you get it??
Your location?
Quantities?
Material type (CRS, HRPO, HRS, DOM, EREW)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your location?
Quantities?
Material type (CRS, HRPO, HRS, DOM, EREW)?
West Chester, PA

No idea what any of those acronyms stand for... any idea where I can do some research to learn about metal and tubing types, etc?

Lets say I wanted to make an underbody skid plate, 1/4" steel... what would I use and how much would it be per square foot?

If I wanted to make a cage, how many feet is an average cage, and what type of tubeing would I use, and how much per foot?

Just looking for ballpark so I can get an idea.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
internet is your freind.......... you outta do some homework there before
asking here. pirate is great for knowledge, it's also a place to seriously
get bashed for asking newbie questions.......

find a local steel place near you and go check them out....... ask for any

steel dimension booklets that give specs on plate, tube, angle, etc.....

you can find weights, dims, and tensile strengths in those as well.

--and since you sound pretty new at this, I strongly suggest you enroll in

a community college metal shop class to learn the basics.......... hopefully

before you start welding on a street-driven vehicle.

--Sherpa

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
internet is your freind.......... you outta do some homework there before
asking here. pirate is great for knowledge, it's also a place to seriously
get bashed for asking newbie questions.......
I asked on some nooooob forums and people pretend they know what they're talking about. :shaking: It's worth getting bashed if I can get some serious answer too, thanks for the heads up tho.

find a local steel place near you and go check them out....... ask for any

steel dimension booklets that give specs on plate, tube, angle, etc.....

you can find weights, dims, and tensile strengths in those as well.

--and since you sound pretty new at this, I strongly suggest you enroll in

a community college metal shop class to learn the basics.......... hopefully

before you start welding on a street-driven vehicle.

--Sherpa
The plan is to take a bunch of shop classes. I don't plan on welding anything major on a stret vehicle, besides non-load bearing skids, etc to start. Gotta start somewhere. I'll look for a steel supplier near me, thanks.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Steel is a primary metal and sold as a commodity. Prices can and often do change daily, if not more often. Kinda difficult for anyone to say much of anything about it except that steel is hella expensive right now.

R&D is very expensive!

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Granted, even without shipping figured in these people are on the high end of the scale for prices: http://www.metalsdepot.com/

But it will start to give you an idea of cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Scrapyard sells endcuts, blems and misc hunks of metals. Look up "metal" in your local phone book. Call them up and ask if they sell small quantities.

You can also just roll over to Home Depot and buy some sch 40 black pipe and start cutting/welding. Fitting a good joint is the same whether it's poop pipe or chro-mo.

Junkyard has junk.

T
What's the difference between a scrapyard and a junkyard? (yikes, here comes the flaming)

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Thanks!

What's the difference between a scrapyard and a junkyard? (yikes, here comes the flaming)
Junkyard is for cars and such but scrapyard takes just metals. That should cover the basic.

1/4" would be to thick for a skid. I would suggest 3/16 with maybe a brace on the back to make it stronger. Something like angle iron for a brace.

·
III
28,132 Posts
I was going to say that a scrapyard is where you take your trash metal and get cash for it. OUt here on the west coast most stell yards have a remanant pile or in the case of one of the steel yards I go to, more remnant and scrap than regular stuff! Seem like I rarely buy full pieces unless I am doing a big project, everything else is out of the remnant pile.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, good to know. Thanks for the tips!

So I don't get ripped off, what would be reasonable prices for scrapyard metal... I know this is a VERY general question, so I'll take any answers like... what you paid for your last pieces of scraps and what sizes they were. Ballpark.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Again, steel fluctuates..

At my local yard, its usually $0.40-$0.70 a pound for stuff on the short-length racks. There's a bin or real small stuff (under a foot, usually) thats free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At my local yard, its usually $0.40-$0.70 a pound for stuff on the short-length racks. There's a bin or real small stuff (under a foot, usually) thats free.
Thanks. I just want to be prepared to walk away if they ask for 5$ a pound, ya know? haha.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I just bought a bunch of steel yesterday. It was $.42/pound for the "scrap", the sheet of 1/8" expanded metal (not the stamped stuff, the heavy welded stuff) was $35 for a 4x4 sheet.:(

Almost all of the metal at this place is new, but it's outdoor storage, so it has rust. It's still worth it to me to wire wheel/sandblast it for the price.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I agree about the remanant pile. Almost everything that you do will be found in this area and you buy it by the pound. I just got done paying 80 cents a pound out here in CA. If you are doing big items like an exo or something, then hit the full sticks but it sounds to me like you are more on the learning phase so the remanant pile is your best friend.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here, last i heard they wanted to charge a regular off the street cusotmer $0.92/lb for new steel. in 24'+ lengths

I just get mine though work, although we use one or two orders a week. we get a decent price though better then .92 thats for sure :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take an intro welding class at your local community college first, then take a fabrication class. You'll pick up on metals and alloys, metallurgy, heat-treatment effects, processing, acronyms, tricks, trade-related info, brands, methods, etc..
Take notes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts