Pirate 4x4 banner

501 - 520 of 526 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
As mentioned before, I had a failure in one Honeywell and one Lights America light, both from Sam's, after a year or so. Both were replaced free of charge under warranty and haven't had any more failures (have a total of 6).

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I previously installed about 8 of the Honeywell lights from Sam's. Last week, I added a couple of more. The new ones are a little different - some good and some bad.

The good...they have a power outlet on one end, so you can daisy chain lights together.

The bad...they now have 3 different light settings, with very slight dimming (at least to my eye). So to turn off the light, you have to pull the chain 3 times. Kind of annoying, but not the end of the world.

I think I paid $30 for these last 3, IIRC

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
The bad...they now have 3 different light settings, with very slight dimming (at least to my eye). So to turn off the light, you have to pull the chain 3 times. Kind of annoying, but not the end of the world./QUOTE]

Why not just wire in a switch?
or use a wireless switch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZUKG6Y

they work great, i have several and love them for existing structures i dont want to tear into the electrical, and priceless for being able to turn things off where ever i happen to be in the shop

·
Registered
57 Posts
or use a wireless switch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZUKG6Y

they work great, i have several and love them for existing structures i dont want to tear into the electrical, and priceless for being able to turn things off where ever i happen to be in the shop
Don't know why I didn't think about using a Smart plug:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072ZX8RTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if you have an Alexa or Echo in the shop you can just tell it to turn the lights on or off. It's my plan for the shop I am building right now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The bad...they now have 3 different light settings, with very slight dimming (at least to my eye). So to turn off the light, you have to pull the chain 3 times. Kind of annoying, but not the end of the world./QUOTE]

Why not just wire in a switch?
8 of them are on a switch.

The new ones that I added others are task lights above benches and are used intermittently. They would be difficult to wire to the main switch, and the pull chains are fine.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think about using a Smart plug:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072ZX8RTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if you have an Alexa or Echo in the shop you can just tell it to turn the lights on or off. It's my plan for the shop I am building right now.
thats pretty cool but not sure how well it would hold up in a dusty dirty work shop environment, the one i linked is rated for outdoor use.

i used to run these but they didnt hold up in the shop

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087EIDRS

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since the recent time change I have discovered the strong need to update the lighting in my 2-car garage. Currently, I only have one small light bulb near the garage door opener. This is not sufficient for working on projects.

I am considering putting in 4 sets of LED lights but wanted to ask if anyone has recommendations or cheap alternatives. I am already stretched pretty thin from buying two project cars, so a cheap option may be the way to go. I have electrical experience and know how to do the wiring and installation.

The ceiling is too low for drop lighting, so ceiling flush mount would be preferred. Does anyone have recommendations?

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
The 2 pack of Honeywell from Sam's is $50. $100 for 4 lights that will turn a 2 car garage into a paint booth if the ceiling is white- and that's 160 watts total power usage.

Only downside is they're not surface mount... I cut the chains down to 2 links and they only hang maybe 2" off the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Yea just eyeballing them I figured you could surface mount in some way... Got any pics of safe screw locations? I was in a hurry and threw them up on hooks, but with a 9ft ceiling I'd like to go back and hard mount them.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
I got some free time yesterday, decided I was going to disassemble one of the Honeywell lights and figure out a good place to drill for surface mount. After a beer and much swearing, I have come to the conclusion that I can't take one of these apart and be able to reassemble it (at least without superglue and some tack welds).

So, here's what I've come up with. There's a small wire in the big center channel between the lights. The wire mostly runs right down the center. Drill hole away from center, poke around up in there with a bread tie and make sure the wiring is out of the way... carefully finish drilling through the back.

I got one done, 4 mounting holes, fuck a bunch of warranty

Attachments

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Since the recent time change I have discovered the strong need to update the lighting in my 2-car garage. Currently, I only have one small light bulb near the garage door opener. This is not sufficient for working on projects.

I am considering putting in 4 sets of LED lights but wanted to ask if anyone has recommendations or cheap alternatives. I am already stretched pretty thin from buying two project cars, so a cheap option may be the way to go. I have electrical experience and know how to do the wiring and installation.

The ceiling is too low for drop lighting, so ceiling flush mount would be preferred. Does anyone have recommendations?
I'm confused, have I been getting to work an hour late for a week?

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
what's wrong with strapping them to the ceiling with plumbers tape?
I think that would work just fine. I wanted a little cleaner looking install. I'm in the process of painting my shop and making it "nice"... it's actually going to be 3/4 shop and 1/4 hangout spot for the kids.

501 - 520 of 526 Posts