Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
I don't have a Cosco or any safe for that matter, but I did look at them and they are a decent starter safe. I know my collection will grow beyond the limits of that safe within the next 2 years so I passed on buying it

·
3d Artist for Hire!
19,323 Posts
I don't have a Cosco or any safe for that matter, but I did look at them and they are a decent starter safe. I know my collection will grow beyond the limits of that safe within the next 2 years so I passed on buying it

That's been my biggest holdup in safes. If I get one big enough to hold what I have now, it'll be full and I won't have room for anything new. But if I get one that's big enough to allow my collection to grow, then it's gonna suck something aweful to move the thing. And with me being in an apartment, I don't see it all that feasible to get a huge safe.

Once I have a house (very soon hopefully) I'll get a decent-sized safe....

But I do need to get one, regardless of size...

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
That's been my biggest holdup in safes. If I get one big enough to hold what I have now, it'll be full and I won't have room for anything new. But if I get one that's big enough to allow my collection to grow, then it's gonna suck something aweful to move the thing. And with me being in an apartment, I don't see it all that feasible to get a huge safe.

I have all the necessary tools to move a safe around all day. Its the money factor that kills me

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

I am in the same situation but am in a rental house I will be out of when I graduate. My solution is multiple smaller safes. I already have one similar to this that I got used from a friend and it is currently beyond full. I think I'm just gonna get another one for now. I know the fire-rating is prety much non-existant and its not the best out their but in my current situation I think this is the best setup.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_36571_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

·
Registered
889 Posts
want a cheep safe to keep you valuable items safe in,

no problem when it gets broken into you are only out the cost of a cheep safe, and you do not have to worry about all your valuables.:mr-t:

:eek:

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

no problem when it gets broken into you are only out the cost of a cheep safe, and you do not have to worry about all your valuables.:mr-t:

Hmmmm.. so are you saying you have to spend 1500+ to qualify for a non-cheap safe :shaking:

To me a 900$ safe on sale for 700 seems like a good deal but far from a cheap $300 safe.

Thanks for your great input regarding this safe :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

A cheap safe is better than no safe and being that I am a college student on a limited budget it isnt exactly practical for me to spend $1k+ on a safe.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I bought one of these
and I'm already outgrowing it. I think I paid about $800-$850 shipped, I can't remember off the top of my head...but for not more than that thing is going to cost, might want to look at something that'll take a little longer to fill.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal to me; I dunno what the conventional wisdom on "how much safe to buy" says about it sizewise, but I think I'd find a couple typical-size safes a whole lot easier to deal with (both getting into/out of the house, and finding stuff in them), than one gargantuhuge one.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, my question... if someone beats the fawk out of the electronics how wold I go about opening it myself??? (Short of plasma and a bfh / etc)

·
Registered
499 Posts
They usually have a key also. Buuuut if the entire electronic panel was FUBARed, then the keyhole underneath the panel would probably be too...

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Why worry about having a single safe for everything. I like the idea of multiple smaller safes spread around.
They are securely fastened to the surrounding structure, so no worries about someone picking them up and walking away with them.
When one gets full, go get another.
It's financially easier to spread out the cost this way and just get what you need as needed. Also the idea of having a couple different gun lockers around isn't such a bad one.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Why worry about having a single safe for everything. I like the idea of multiple smaller safes spread around.
They are securely fastened to the surrounding structure, so no worries about someone picking them up and walking away with them.
When one gets full, go get another.
It's financially easier to spread out the cost this way and just get what you need as needed. Also the idea of having a couple different gun lockers around isn't such a bad one.

Not a bad idea at all. Pete, whats your thoughts on this particular model safe from costco. Would you trust it?

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
I do not own anything of historic or family value.
I secure my firearms to keep them away from the kids and make it more difficult for someone that breaks in.
I have insurance.
having said that the 30 minute fire rating on the safe does not bother me.
Seems like a decent size and the price isn't too bad (I am cheap SOB :) )

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Here is my take on it:

A 'cheap' safe, even a Wal-mart $350 one is better than NO safe. One of these cheapies can be bolted to the floor in a closet, and be pretty damn secure. Yes, you can axe it open, or torch it open, but this is also true for $1500+ safes. Anyone who is going to get away with it, or into it is probably going to get into almost any non-comercial home 'safe.' It will keep out both kids, and smash-and-grab punks.

A friend of mine had concerns with using one of these, but he could not afford a real 'safe.' He got one of the cheapies, and planned to put in his closet. I welded some 3/16 plate to the sides and top, and he bolted it to the floor in the corner of the closet with the reinforced portions away from the walls. Its not ideal, and goes against what all the'experts' say is 'safe,' but its a hell of a lot better than using cable locks and rifle cases.

Get what you can now with what you can afford. Upgrade to a better, larger, or second safe when you can. You will never run out of things to put in it.

·
Moderhater
23,460 Posts
if you care, anyone in texas who needs a safe, my B-I-L is a safe installer/seller. if you need any safe's moved, installed or if you need to buy one or sell one, he can hook you up :)

my current century (shit safe in his words) is currently turning into an ammo safe. he's getting me a BIG fuggin safe for my hardware :evil:

i have seen some of his safe's its fuggin bitchin :smokin:

like i said ill get you the hook up on some bad azz ones

he restores them too, so if you want an old skool one or something special thats cool too

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My take is similar to some of you guys.

If someone WANTS IT they are gonna get it... they could smash a truck through the house load safe and go kind of thing. I want to prevent my business data from some punk that decides he needs jewelry/cash for his drug habit and destroys 20k+ in write-offs kind of thing. Really, I`m not protecting against 'prof' thieves, and I don't really have anything that valuable alone. But my backup DVDs for work, and my yearly tax information, etc... I'd like that in a safe.

My plan is to actually put a smaller 1hr rated fireproof safe inside this safe to store my important DVD / Documents. For the price it seems like a nice unit.

How are you guys moving it around? Is there a spot on top for an eye bolt? Move straps and 2 people seems hard to grab and move with 2 people w/out some sort of tool?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts