Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to be able to use my trucks spare on the trailer temporarily. I know 8x6.5 trailer wheels and hubs are available, but I'm not finding lugcentric trailer hubs and wheels like my 97 12 valve truck has..

Anyone have any insight about this? Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
You will really just have to test fit it and check fitment. We got lucky on our 14K dump trailer when it shredded a tire and my 94 ram steel wheel fit perfectly on it and rode right against the center bore.We tried a GM 8x6.5 and it wouldnt fit over hub. It really just depends on what bore both are along with backspacing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will really just have to test fit it and check fitment. We got lucky on our 14K dump trailer when it shredded a tire and my 94 ram steel wheel fit perfectly on it and rode right against the center bore.We tried a GM 8x6.5 and it wouldnt fit over hub. It really just depends on what bore both are along with backspacing.
Thanks 350TacoZilla.

I haven't bought the trailer axle yet is why I'm asking.. But your 94 ram wheel fitting, but not the GM is good info. Sounds like our dodge lugcentric wheels can be run on hubcentric trailer hubs temporarily. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I have used my '03 dodge spare on my 8 lug trailers a few times. I had to turn the rim backwad because of the offset. U have to crank the lugs down but it got me to my destination so i could buy some tires the next day.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yeah the 03+ trucks have just over 6" back space in either of the steelie's, way more than my 94's. Even the later 2nd gen trucks have more backspacing so they might be close depending on trailer clearance. Here is a list of what I have found with trucks that we have had or currently have but please check yourself first as I'm not 100% sure of these.

8x6.5 bolt pattern
Ram 03 steel--17x8 6.19bs=1.81 stick out \
Ram 03 steel--17x7.5 6.02bs=1.48 stick out \
Ram 02 alloy--16x8 6.25bs=1.75 stick out >----4.78" center bore
Ram 02 steel--16x7.5 5.47bs=2.03 stick out /
Ram 94 steel--16x6.5 4.50bs=1.75 stick out /
Gmc 04 alloy--16x6.5 4.85bs=1.65 stick out <--- smaller 4.6" center bore

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have used my '03 dodge spare on my 8 lug trailers a few times. I had to turn the rim backwad because of the offset. U have to crank the lugs down but it got me to my destination so i could buy some tires the next day.
Maybe grab a cheap 1.5" bolt on spacer and carry it in trailer box for emergency use. I'd rather use a spacer than the wheel on backwards.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Maybe grab a cheap 1.5" bolt on spacer and carry it in trailer box for emergency use. I'd rather use a spacer than the wheel on backwards.
Plans have changed..

I need to get rid of my 17" 3rd gen ram rims and tires, and drop back down to stock 16"..

To avoid backspace issues I want to be able to use the trailer spare for the truck, but am wondering if I should just run centered trailer rims on the truck since I need to buy new rims anyway..

The stock 97 ram 2500 used 16 x 6.5 rims with 4.5" of back space. Does that mean a truck tire on a 16x7 centered trailer rim would stick out 1 1/4" further? And will I have any interchange issues with hub centric trailer rims vs the lug centric's on the truck?

If you click through the pics, one guy says they fit his F350

Thanks

·
Registered
1979 F150 351w np435 on 37s. 1995 YJ 4Banger with 5speed on 31s. 2000 XJ 4.0 auto on 31s.
368 Posts
Plans have changed..

I need to get rid of my 17" 3rd gen ram rims and tires, and drop back down to stock 16"..

To avoid backspace issues I want to be able to use the trailer spare for the truck, but am wondering if I should just run centered trailer rims on the truck since I need to buy new rims anyway..

The stock 97 ram 2500 used 16 x 6.5 rims with 4.5" of back space. Does that mean a truck tire on centered trailer rim would stick out 1 1/4" further? And will I have any interchange issues with hub centric trailer rims vs the lug centric's on the truck?

Thanks
Is this really worth all the hastle? Why can't you just carry 2 spares? One for the truck, and one for the trailer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
run whatever rims on the truck and trailer rims on the trailer. you want the proper backspace on the trailer. for the brearings and clearance. my 8 lug trailer i tried a 2005 chevy express van spare and it hits the inner fender. i can measure my second gen dodge rims and tires that i run for winter on my chevy pickup. vs my trailer tire spare if you want? i found a spare trailer rim and tire for $40 brand new on craigslist.. if your this worried figure out a spare that fits both.... i would have a spare for each... the chevy express rim will work on my trailer with a 1/2" maybe 3/4" wheel spacer, the studs are long enough to accomidate it too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Worth the hassle? I see your point, but you don't know the entire picture.

But if I circle back for a minute and consider adapters or spacers on the trailer, so that I could run truck 17'x8's because 17's outsold 16's and I have 265/70/17s on the dodge. Before I can do that I need to figure out the offset for the third gen 17" rims and determine if spacers are available for the given offset.

·
Registered
1979 F150 351w np435 on 37s. 1995 YJ 4Banger with 5speed on 31s. 2000 XJ 4.0 auto on 31s.
368 Posts
Than what is the whole picture? Is there a reason you can't carry around another spare?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What business is it of yours? Answer my question or keep scrolling.

A better option is to run 235/85/r16 XPS Ribs on the trailer which are the same outer diameter as the 265/70/17's on the truck and done.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What business is it of yours? Answer my question or keep scrolling.

A better option is to run 235/85/r16 XPS Ribs on the trailer which are the same outer diameter as the 265/70/17's on the truck and done.
Do you want help or not? I'm trying to figure out why you can't just carry two spares? The answer is simple. Buy a proper trailer spare and be done with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts