1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
300 Posts
Don't see why not.... A while back on the Learning Channel, they had a show about the history of the 4 Wheel Drive. I believe they showed one of these joints that was being used on the McPhearson race truck. It was pretty cool. They had a camera mounted on the frame looking at the suspension. It showed the joint at full speed and travel. It probably is cost prohibitive for the everyday driver, but shoed work instead of a birf.

-D

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Interesting idea, but

http://www.drivetechnologies.com/page14.html

is the strongest one they got. 1150 lb-ft max operating torque. (ultimate torque is 7 times higher than that) Anybody know what is the breaking force of a birfield?

Also, what do these cost? I bought 4 spare birfields for $15 each. Where you gonna find a trail replacement one of these with less than a month lead time?

BUT, I friggin LOVE the idea of an axle that can turn it's wheels 90 deg in each direction!!!

Close your eyes for a minute and imagine your Cruiser with front and rearsteer with 90 deg swing in each direction. A vehicle could literally turn in place with that setup.

-tom

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
trd55 said:
Don't see why not.... A while back on the Learning Channel, they had a show about the history of the 4 Wheel Drive. I believe they showed one of these joints that was being used on the McPhearson race truck. It was pretty cool. They had a camera mounted on the frame looking at the suspension. It showed the joint at full speed and travel. It probably is cost prohibitive for the everyday driver, but shoed work instead of a birf.

-D
I complained to discovery about that worthless documentary, Little to no coverage of LandCruisers and the effect it had on 4 wheeling. They even covered those underpowered rovers.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Slowerthanu said:

I complained to discovery about that worthless documentary, Little to no coverage of LandCruisers and the effect it had on 4 wheeling. They even covered those underpowered rovers.
under powered and under-axled!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts