Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering how well the Clayton 5.5" will do as a daily driver and also how it articulates and climbs when off-road.

My searches tell me that it's very sturdy off-road but I don't seem to be able to find much about ride quality and function. I would assume that it does very well by the way they are talked about here.

Also wondering how long the install might take, looks pretty reasonable and potentially doable on a weekend.

I'm also assuming that this will clear 35's without a problem.

Lastly, what is this double triangulation? The 5.5" hard arm is clearly triangulated in the rear, is this an option that I'm not seeing?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I recently installed a Rock Krawler 5.5 X Factor on my TJ (DD). I did extensive research before deciding on this lift, rides like a modified jeep on the road. I checked out the Clayton products and talked to thier people, which all seem good. Your choice is now about preference more than anything. From what I've heard Nth degree was bought out by another company and there are some issues regarding thier future.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I run a Clayton Hard Arm kit on my YJ and I absolutely love it! Clayton did the entire install years ago. The axles brackets are awesome and super strong, the arms run Currie Johnny Joints so they are rebuildable, the warranty on the Clayton parts is awesome and the kit perfoms superb! Very nice ride on the road, excellent articulation on the trail, durable beyond belief. If you have the coin, I would recommend it any day. The install could be as short as as long as you want it. You can make in double triangulated rear, you can get the gussets to run outboard shocks so you could notch the frame etc.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I recently installed a Rock Krawler 5.5 X Factor on my TJ (DD)...
Sorry for the highjack, but did you start from stock and go to this kit or did you have their short arm four link and move up to the 5.5 long arm kit? I've got their short arm four link and am considering the upgrade to longarm.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I run the double triangluaed rear stretch suspension and love it. It is smooth on the road and the articulation off road is insane plus you cant beat the lifetime warrenty on the arms.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right on, appreciate the info. Still not entirely clear about the double triangulation but I'll figure that out.

Gonna wait till Friday for the nth packages, if they aren't here Clayton it is.

·
Registered
879 Posts
it helps center the rear axle better through the suspension cycle becuase you have all for are centering the axle instead just the uppers. which allows for less rear steer.

Here is my double trianlgulated rear...

It flexes pretty well...

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those pics are awesome, very nice. I think that's the one :grinpimp:

What did you end up doing with the exhaust?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm running the single triangulated with 4.5" RE coils and about 4-5" of stretch in the rear using the Genright stretch kit. I've only taken it on a couple of off road trips, but I was very happy with the performance.

I would like to figure out how to fit some longer shocks in the rear so I can get a little more flex back there. Right now I'm running 10.5" travel shocks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Here are a couple pics of my single triangulated setup and with the outboard shocks and notched frame (YJ).

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In case anyone is interested:

i called Adam at Clayton yesterday and asked about the double tri on the LJ since I didn't see it on the site. Apparently this is part of the stretch system for TJ's (not sure about other models, didn't ask) and since the LJ already had an extended wheelbase it isn't offered. So triangulated uppers only for the LJ.

Hope to have it ordered by the end of the week. :smokin:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got mine and got the front on in a couple of hours. The rear looks to be a little bit more and am waitng on the rear shock conversion to come to do it all at once. The front already has made a huge difference in the ride with just the front on. Can't wait to finish up the rear. Good luck to ya

1 - 20 of 21 Posts