Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will document my rebuild of a YJ I recently purchased. The Covid 19 quarantines kick started the project and hence the name. The basic theme of the rebuild is that my budget is pretty much limited to what I can sell off of the Jeep and my parts availability is limited to what companies are still open and what I can find on the used market.

Here is what I started with:

It's 1995 YJ that has been a rock crawler it's entire life. The V8 was swapped into it in 1998. I'm sure many of you have seen it out on the trails in CA.

Basic specs:
350 TPI
TH400
Atlas 4.3
Dynatrac HP 60s front and rear 4.56 detroit, spool

My plan:
Lower, ligher, longer

I started on the front. It previously had YJ 3" springs set up SOA. I had stock Waggy springs left over from linking my wifes DD waggy so I decided to use them. Made french in spring hangers and moved the springs forward about 2". This should net me about 3.5" of stretch. Inspiration for this came from the "Hardcore Jeeps with Leaf Springs" thread, specifically the "Back 2 Basics" build.

Approximate new ride height 7" lower than the old ride height:

Then I moved on to the rear. I sourced some 14" Fox air shocks from another PBB member. I was originally planning on using the 3" springs from the front SUA in the rear but had concerns about the v8, low tcase gearing, and tall axle gearing causing spring wrap issues. Linking it just seemed like the easier and better bath.

Then I left my Sawzall unattended and OOPS!

I went around and around on this decision. The rear of the tub was pretty hammered and had layers of bondo and remnants of years of iterations of modifications. I think this will yield a better finished product.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts

I went around and around on this decision. The rear of the tub was pretty hammered and had layers of bondo and remnants of years of iterations of modifications. I think this will yield a better finished product.

I dig the little flatbed, but the doors look like they may flap around at speed.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made some new 2x3x.120 frame rails and fit them into place.

Then I started figuring out the rockers:

2x2c.120 square tubing:

My little brake only does 17" so I cut reliefs so I could bend in stages.

You can also see that I got the rear seat mount tubes in place.

The plan is that the upper links will be outboard of the frame off the bent C shaped caps on the back of the rockers. This will allow the axle side uppers to be located outside the diff so ride height can be low and the back seat can stay in the stock location.

·
nice roach.
5,742 Posts
Subbed because Sawzall.... Looking forward to seeing this come together.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear links are tacked in. They're pretty short. Lowers are 27" long and uppers are 25". I cycled it and everything seems to work. There is some pretty aggressive flex steer, but that's unavoidable with short links. At ride height AS is 65% and roll steer is at -2 deg. I had two pieces of 20.5" 2x.25 DOM that I have moved at least 5 times. It was time to use them up.

Everything is tucked up nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Why make the links so short after chopping the back half off? Having a couple pieces of tubing laying around is not a good reason IMO. Your going to hate that decision once you get it together and start wheeling it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why make the links so short after chopping the back half off? Having a couple pieces of tubing laying around is not a good reason IMO. Your going to hate that decision once you get it together and start wheeling it.
I have been back and forth a number of times on this and I value thoughtful input.

Do you have justification for why I will hate it?

I liked how well this packaged. I am working hard to keep weight down and this works towards that goal. There are a million JKs running around with shorter links than this. Are my numbers perfect? Nope. Will it work? Probably. The art of building a rig is balancing compromises. This compromise is definitely more extreme than I normally go but that's part of the point of this build. I'm testing ideas.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts