Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Hey, I'm just trying to bring back some of the flare of the old Pirate we all know and love. :flipoff2:

The square tube is there to make up the door opening for the half doors. It's thin wall.
No harm, no foul... :D

Ok, so serious question- is the square tube under the doors heavier wall? I recall you saying the vertical you mention above being 0.120" wall, I'd think the rockers would be 0.188"(+) given their exposure to impacts?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The rectangular tube used to make the frame rails is 2x3x.120, the square tube that creates the top of the boat side is 2x2x.120. The square tube that makes up the rear inner fender/shock mount is 1.5x1.5x.120. The vertical door part is 1.5x1.5x.083. I still plan on making a super low profile "step" out of 1.5x.188 DOM to finish the rockers. I say that, but I have had the piece of tube a long time and have planned to use it to make that step on like 4 rigs. I usually run out of time for steps. haha.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Definitely in for Updates!! I'm liking this project!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Update!

Got started in the inner fender sheet metal and floor patches. Then I ran out of material. Dang.

[/url]

Seat mounts for the Mastercraft Nomad seats I got in a super good sale from Summit. I'm mounting them with the stock YJ sliders. You can also see my patch in the floor to make room for the Atlas after removing the 1.25" body lift.

Need to do injector o rings on my 7.3 so I pushed it out of the garage. I'm happy with how it's coming together. I think it'll look better with half doors and skins.

·
Premium Member
'81 Shit Box
104 Posts
Looking good! :smokin: Was this jeep on Craigslist? I think I remember seeing it a while back... Makes me want to cut up an old CJ we have and throw some tube at it

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Got busy with a few other projects and didn't touch this for a few weeks. Back on it now. Here's a post about the rear skins, made with .125 5052:

Cut out on my plasma table:

Need to bend around the rear corner, marked 1" increments along the arc length.

Divided the desired angle by the number of lines I drew and bent it in the press using the largest diameter tube I had around. Used my digital angle finder for each step.

Not perfect but pretty dang good!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Coming along great.

Covid in the name... hope your project ends soon :grinpimp: virus?? no end in sight :rolleyes:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Ready for the shakedown! Headed out to Big Bear with a friend for the Bronco Bash event. I was the black sheep in the Chevy powered Jeep that's for sure. We ended up running Gold Mountain, John Bull, and Holcomb creek.

Ended up switching to full hydro steering. Kept the Howe pump and resi/filter set up, added a PSC orbital and ram. Had to go below the leaf springs to make it fit. The steering is awesome now.

You'll also notice the electric fan zip tied to the grill. It was over heating but a quick trip to the local auto store and we solved that. Undecided on what the permanent solution will be. It had an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator before but I removed it to make room to relocate the transmission cooler from underneath to up front. I might just delete the mechanical fan and go with something like a Taurus fan.

My wife and I share the seat time. Fun to have a partner that loves wheeling as much as I do!

This was my doing! Oops! Barely even felt it happen, caught the drain plug just right. We spent the second half of John Bull on a long leash behind a Bronco. Luckily at this point it was mostly down hill back to the trailer. The local Hot Rod shop "Conklin Hot Rods" was awesome and had a stock stamped oil pan on the shelf for me. When the first one we grabbed wasn't quite right they stayed late while I rushed back over to swap it out. Awesome dudes that saved my weekend!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts