Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 96 s-10 4.3 thats a crank no start, I got 50psi of fuel pressure, and spark, the truck runs fine for 20 seconds if you dump fuel down the throttle body. The guy said it was cranking for a long time so he did full tune up with fuel filter, plugs, wires etc. Then he said it was great, then over the last week its been cranking longer and longer, no it just cranks a does not start.

Whats wrong? I figured I would check online before I dug into it tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
50 psi usually isnt enough to start a vortec, mine had 53psi and it would only start occasionally.Try shooting a little fuel down the throttle body and see if it starts then.Mine would run fine but would not restart.I swapped the pump gauge read 60psi and havent had a problem since.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
if i put gas in Tb it runs untill it burns all that gas up then dies

i work at a ford dealer and they will run on 30psi, so looks like it may need a fuel pump

·
Dummer'n Moose Poop
5,393 Posts
Correct... Vortec won't run on 50psi.
Could be something as simple as the pickup screen clogged all to hell, though.
But... while you have the tank out, might as well put in a new pump.
You could just put on the screen and see if it runs with the tank on the ground. If so, replace the pump anyway and keep the other as a spare.
I have seen several folks actually cut an access hole in the floor of the bed to make changing these pumps out a whole heap easier. Just cut your hole, add on some sort of strap material to the cutout piece and screw it back down to the bed for later removal.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts