Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep took a shiat yesterday on me, so started fixing it today. Tracked it to the crank sensor, seems it got chewed up alittle on the end, which in turn blew my fuse and shut everything down. So, long story short, put a new $80 sensor in, and fuse, and started up. Took it to town, and pulled in to pick up groceries, and whamo, it quit. So, checked the fuse, and sure enough, it's popped again! I'm guessing the damn sensor is now junk. So, to pull the engine, or pull tranny/transfer is the queastion of the day?
It's about to get all pulled and the 5.3 swap a couple months early, but I need to send my atlas back to advance and they are 3 weeks out on rebuilding it, and this is a daily driver. Any suggestions?

·
Dabbler
2,161 Posts
For some reason-the magnetic "trigger" is contacting the rotating assembly and chewing it up. For a temp fix-try shimming the sensor out further. The sensor just has to receive the trigger signal. It can probably be moved out a small amount without affecting the signal strength. See if you can find some thin washers to place under the sensor. You may have to buy another sensor-star thick-and see if it will run, then gradually thin the spacers down until it either runs well-or your sensor gets chewed again.

You can also inspect the flywheel area to see if a defect in the area that triggers the CPS, and possibly file the high point down, or see if the magnet has delaminated or become unglued.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts