1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been playing make-believe with this gear ratio calculator:
http://www.dfw-tx4wd.org/gears.html
Thanks again to Roy for developing it.

I was just curious what y'all run/think is reasonable.

I'd be using my rig as a trail runner. I'd like to run some nice vertical slopes...sorta like rockcrawling but maybe not as harsh as I've seen. You know....a low enough geared rig that can go up any vertical slopes when you've just received over 2" of rain the night before :D .

TIA

BTW...I've searched and will continue.
Also, I'll be runnin' a 360/T18a/TransferCase?/D60/Corp14/Gears?

I have a 360/Th400/QT/D44's/3.54's now....That's all I'm really accustomed to. You can see why I'm building this one.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i have a 350 to 1 final drive that i never use. i do however use both t cases is my dual case setup. it gives me a wide range of options. up to including the riduclious 350:1

it's all about options. i can run 4 high, 4 low or 4 super low ,,,,,,or i can put all those together and run 4 stupid low

·
Registered
722 Posts
wheel speed

Up here in Oregon, we have conditions like you describe. I'm opting to go with a 4.7 gear set in my back case so that i can have the choice to go back to 2.28 if need be. Many times it really helps in this mud of ours to have a bit of wheel speed, for cleaning the tread and gaining that extra centimeter that lets your tire bite on rock again. I would probably resist the urge to go with low low gears in both t-cases. This is what I've been told by all the guys around here. All my reading has basically piointed out that anything more than say 223:1 is overkill in most cases anyhow.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
camo said:
i have a 350 to 1 final drive that i never use. i do however use both t cases is my dual case setup. it gives me a wide range of options. up to including the riduclious 350:1

it's all about options. i can run 4 high, 4 low or 4 super low ,,,,,,or i can put all those together and run 4 stupid low
Hey this is a pretty good thread idea.

Mr. Camo, mind telling us what the lowest crawl ratio that you use, of your maximum 350:1?

Anybody else?

-t

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
camo said:
,,,,,,or i can put all those together and run 4 stupid low
I've heard of the "stupid 4 low"...;) Must be nice to be able to say "I got it", though.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Thats not even close to the ridiculus low that some guys here run. I know a couple guys are running triple Yota T-cases, with 4.7s in all cases. Something like 3300:1. :eek:

I run 120:1 in my YJ, T98, 4.3 Atlas, and 4:10. With the four speed, I do get a wide range of ratios. If I need a little speed offroad, I have 4hi, with the granny first gear to get going.
Most trail work ends up in 4lo, 2nd or 3rd gear.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
for most trail cruising i run around 90:1 or higher

when i get to a tough obstacle i start at about 150:1 or 170:1

i run a 4.3 v6
sm420
toy dual cases with a 4.7 gear in the rear case
5.38 axle gears

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
First off what size tires. They plau a big roll in final ratio. Lets say 38's to help get the 60 and 14 bolt off the ground so that will put the gears 4.88 most likely so now tcase gears are left. Like Camo said 90-1 is good but realy I would say 100-120 for 38's will cover some pretty nasty driving in rocks and still leave you with some good speed if you shift up into 3rd or 4th. I was running 117 with 39.5's and it was good but for nasty shit I would like it to be 140-160. If you are mostly dealing with dirt or mud then 70-90 is going to be plenty low to help keep some momentum and wheel speed if you stab the gas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As always thanks for the replies.
66CJdean....now your talking.
I forgot to mention the tires. The size you mentioned is what I'd be runnin'...
What type of set-up did you have/had to be runnin a 117 to 1? just curious.
Still runnin numbers...so I'll stay tuned.

TA

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
sm420X3.15 tera crap gears in an 18 tcaseX 5.13's
I blew up the tera gears twice so they are gone and just running the stock 2.43 now and don't realy miss them. Well the #'s actually come out to 114 not 117 but whatever. It is now 88 to 1 ans is fine for easy stuff like the Rubicon but not good for long technical stuff because it doesn't give you enough time to choose your line.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate y'all pro guys helping this newbie out ;)

Is it safe to say I can run 5.13's in both D60 front and GM Corp 14 rear axle? I'm also assuming this is the limit...right? I know on the 14 but the front D60 I'm still unsure.

I'm thinking an Atlas 4.3 would be the only way to go for a 139 to 1 crawl ratio....lol....Anyone out there want to be a sponsor?
I'll be saving for this for a loonnggg while :(

Keep 'em coming...I need all the help I can get :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If it is a RC 60 then 5.38 but if it is a standard cut 60 the 7.17

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I think 100:1 is about as low as I would want to go. I'm 90:1 right now. It is plently slow, but keeping it under 100 you can still hit the gas and go somewhere. Get tippy on a downslope and hit the gas with 350:1 and your not going anywhere. So much for the whole throdle down idea.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have my truck at 108 to 1, I like it and its good for me, however I am going to go a little lower just because there has been a few times I would have liked to have had it just a hair lower.

·
A fucking killer
7,803 Posts
i have heard that 1" of travel for each RPM @ idle is best for "all-around" use. i look for the formlua to figure it all out...

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I run 174:1 in low low. I usually cruise around in 2nd-4th gear with both cases (2.28 front, 4.70 back) in, and shift the tranny. Use the 174 on the obstacles then back up through the gears.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts