Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm debating about which adapter to buy. I know there's a place you can get the AA adapter for something like $275.00 but is the savings really worth it. Looking at Marlins site (naturally) his is alot better.

Speedometer Cable Extension?
Marlins-Yes Inchworms-No AA's-No, $15 extra
Cage Roller Bearing?
Marlins-Yes, stock Inchworms-Not included AA's-Not included
Pressed? Greased?
Marlins-Yes, Yes Inchworms-Not included AA's-Not included
New Transmission Output Seal?
Marlins-Yes Inchworms-Not included AA's-Not included
Output Shaft
Marlins-Billet Inchworms-Modified Stock Mainshaft AA's-Billet
Strength?
Marlins-Strongest Inchworms-Weaker than Stock AA's-Strongest
Controlled Thrust Washer Wear?
Marlins-Yes Inchworms-Yes AA's-No
23 Spline Available?
Marlins-Yes Inchworms-No AA's-Yes
Main Bearing
Marlins-30mm Wide Double Roller
Inchworms-23mm Wide Single Roller
AA's-19mm Wide Single Roller
Ball Bearing Count?
Marlins-32
Inchworms-8
AA's-9
Strength?
Marlins-Maximum Duty
Inchworms-Stock Bearing
AA's-Weaker than Stock
Static Load?
Marlins-11,600 lbs
Inchworms-5,850 lbs
AA's-4,550 lbs
Dynamic Load?
Marlins-14,600 lbs
Inchworms-11,400 lbs
AA's-8,300 lbs
Available
As a Billet Adapter? Marlins-Yes (MC08) Inchworms-Yes AA's-No
As a Bolt-On Unit? Marlins-Yes Inchworms-Not possible AA's-Not available

This info was taken right from Marlins page and I would like to know if anyone has some real world info that will back this up. I'm not doubting Marlins stuff,I'd just like to know if it's worth the extra money.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
our whole gang runs the aa, its not really a bad kit, went together easy enough, if we werent so low budget, i would have gone with an inchworm adapter he is quick, and a hell of a nice guy, marlin has never impressed me with his delivery times

Ben

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Ben Holloway said:
marlin has never impressed me with his delivery times
Lets see here, ordered gearbox with 4:70 gears and V-6 adapter on a Monday, Marlin delivered it to my door the next Sunday, Ordered my dual case set up on a Thursday, drove to Fresno and picked it up the next Monday. Those are some really crappy delivery times. Had a problem with the 4:70 case, drove to Fresno, Marlin pulled it, replace everything in it, gave me lunch and tried to give me gas money. I would love to see AA do that!!!!You want dual cases go with Marlin or Inchworm, they not only give you the best but the also give excellent Customer Service. I called AA once about something else and the Attitude I got was you are a dumb shit and fuck off!!! Just giving my opinion!!!!

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
OOP'S said:
Attitude I got was you are a dumb shit and fuck off!!!
maybe they really do know what they are talking about :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
raptorman57 said:

I would like to know if anyone has some real world info that will back this up.
i have the old style AA case from marlin now available from several places very inexpensive. i have probally been more abusive to my cases than anybody around. it has not failed and works perfect. i have had it for about 4 years with no trouble from the adapter. choose the one you want and buy it. they all will be up to the task

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
camo said:

maybe they really do know what they are talking about :flipoff2:
Probably, but they could have humored me a bit!!!!:flipoff2:

dont get in a huff
dont get in a huff
Not in a HUFF just pointing out that Marlin is not always slow!!!!:D

·
Moo 2 U
3,828 Posts
he sells gear reduction boxes and has a turtle for a logo - if he was fast it would go against his business motif. :flipoff2:

that said i think he does great work and there seem to be many more good things said about his customer service and products than bad. id give him my business anyday. like anyone on here can really bitch taht much about deadlines....most of your stuff has been on jackstands in your garage for the last year collecting dust. :D if only i were so lucky. :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Crawler adapter differences

camo said:

i have the old style AA case from marlin now available from several places very inexpensive. i have probally been more abusive to my cases than anybody around. it has not failed and works perfect. i have had it for about 4 years with no trouble from the adapter. choose the one you want and buy it. they all will be up to the task
Thank you Camo. That is what I needed to hear. If a product will hold up to the Camo torture it has to be a tough product. The biggest thing is Marlins has that huge main bearing with alot higher load ratings. Also comes with the bearings pressed in and greased,new output seal and look's like it's a bolt on deal. I wasn't sure if that was really worth the extra cash. I could stand to do a little work to save myself about $200

O he's got that cool little shift nob also :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
OOP'S said:
[B Not in a HUFF just pointing out that Marlin is not always slow!!!!:D

that is indeed correct. i have had the very worst service and also the very best service. at least he tells you up front what it is gonna be. if he says it will ship right now then it probally will. it is always worth giving marlin a call.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Coupla comments:

raptorman57 said:
Speedometer Cable Extension?
Marlins-Yes Inchworms-No AA's-No, $15 extra
Inchworm on a 86 runner did not require an extension.

raptorman57 said:
Strength?
Marlins-Strongest Inchworms-Weaker than Stock AA's-Strongest
and
raptorman57 said:
Static Load?
Marlins-11,600 lbs
Inchworms-5,850 lbs
AA's-4,550 lbs
Dynamic Load?
Marlins-14,600 lbs
Inchworms-11,400 lbs
AA's-8,300 lbs
The first and the second two seem to be totally self-contradictory. Inchworm is right in the middle of the other 2.

raptorman57 said:
As a Bolt-On Unit? Marlins-Yes Inchworms-Not possible AA's-Not available
With respect to the Inchworm, this is wrong. What he sent me took some RTV and some included bolts to assemble.

One other comment about the Inchworm - there are six bolts in the reduction box where it mates to the xmission. On the rear case side of inchworm, his design uses only 5 of the available 6. I would not have bought it had I known this. But its in the truck, and since I am only running a 22RE, I am probably going to stick with it until it fails. After all, it got me through Slickrock at Tellico yesterday:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Pretty much all the AZ guys run the AA adapter. If you're gonna blow something up, it's going to be in a case not the adapter (unless installed wrong). Save the $ and use it for driveshafts or something else. It'll crawl just fine.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
cant say enough good things about jim at inchworm. lots of people who thrash on there junk have his setup, mossberg on d70's and 44 boggers, broke the output on the Tcase(adapter fine), 408jigga runs inchworm triples, i have dual inchworms. the AA price at $275 should make it an easy decision though, especially if it has survived the AZ groups trails and wheelin frequency....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks a bunch guy's. These are the things I needed to hear. I think I'm better off with getting AA's and saving money for other mods. I think it will hold up fine the way I wheel. I'm not as hardcore and crazy as some,I just like to go have a little fun with freinds. If the AA's adapter will hold up to a select few on this board I will never break it. Well I better not say that:D

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i have delt with each of the vendors that are mentioned and all have earned my repeat business. each one of them has their strong points and weak points but they are all great people and good companys.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Inchworm

They have/had a 23 spline shaft available last summer when I put may case together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts