Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a yota that has a crawler box in it. He says that the crawler is an earlier Marlin version but the adapter says AA on it. Anyway, the low range gear inside (the biggest one) that has the synchro teeth on it for LOW engagement is done. The needle bearings are crushed and welded to the gear. So the low range gear and the spud shaft that comes with the crawler is all muffed up. I know it will physically fit but is it acceptable to put a set of 4.7 gears in the front crawler and keep the rear case 2.28? It is all 21 spline stuff behind a stock 22re. I am not hard on the skinny pedal but is this just a waste of money to buy the lower gearset. I might as well because I need a new low range gear anyway. Also, can I get a new spud shaft or do I need to buy a whole new crawler kit? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
If I understand right, why not put the stock rear gears in the front crawl box and 4.7's in the rear?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I could, it wouldn't be too much extra work because I am taking the rear case apart to clean and reseal it. I could just swap them around. Other than having to get some new bearings, that may work. Does anyone run a 4.7 in the front case??? It seems like it would create way too much torque for the input shaft of the rear case to handle but what do I know

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Pietro said:
I guess I could, it wouldn't be too much extra work because I am taking the rear case apart to clean and reseal it. I could just swap them around. Other than having to get some new bearings, that may work. Does anyone run a 4.7 in the front case??? It seems like it would create way too much torque for the input shaft of the rear case to handle but what do I know
From what I know you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
I would just put the 4.7's in the rear case and fix the front.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not worried about clearancing the case, not a problem. The problem is that swapping the gears will be a pain in the ass because all of the little spacers and thrust washers got chewed up and I don't know what is factory or what is marlin's. I may just put the 4.7 up front and put 23 spline input gear to the rear

·
Registered
462 Posts
Move the stocks to the front. Like you said too much torque if in the front. If you have any questions talk to the guys at Marlin and they will walk you through any issue you may have. They also should have any bearings, etc. that you might need.
As far as the AA, Advance Adapters used to build Marlin's adapters for him.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. I am new to the yota crawler parts. Have wheeled Jeeps for toooooo long:D I can pick up a stock tcase at my fathers house for free so I may just take the low range gears out of that for now.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Pietro said:
Thanks for the help guys. I am new to the yota crawler parts. Have wheeled Jeeps for toooooo long:D I can pick up a stock tcase at my fathers house for free so I may just take the low range gears out of that for now.
Dude, you're set. Marlin has some great tech support on the website or on the phone to walk you thru this. That unit you got is one of the older MC05's. They make stronger setup now with a better bearing etc, but mines been fine for years. Now fix it so you can go break something else:D

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am surprised that the crawler didn't explode from this bearing being wasted.

·
Registered
802 Posts
People put 4.7 gears in front of taco cases all the time. One of my friends has this set up and is holding up ok so far. Better off in the rear case though.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it must be a yota thing because people use Klunes and mad rooster reduction boxes but the tcase input shafts are larger I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts