Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm parting out my truck and doing a SAS on my '89 4runner, so I can wheel with the baby. The plans for the distant future are to do a motor/tranny swap, but I just wanted to know how different is it going to be with the V6 Auto compared to the 22r/5spd/crawler I'm used to. Any one with a SAS'ed rig with a V6/auto have a comparison for me?

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Both my last rig and my current rig have had the V6/AT combo. I wasn't happy with the performance of the A/T in the Runner (2nd Gen) on the highway but it did OK off road. In my current truck the A/T works beautifuly. I'm very happy I just which I could put a crawler box behind it.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Priest said:
I'm very happy I just which I could put a crawler box behind it.
You can. call Marlin.
Almost all of the competition rock crawlers being built are automatics. When you figure your crawl ratio, double it because of the torque converter.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish! My V6 runs very good, is very strong and my tranny got rebuilt about 4k miles ago. I am thinking that it will be OK for wheeling and the only time I'll miss the crawler is when I'm going down hill in a hairy situation. As it stands right now the 4runner with the AT in first and in low range goes a little slower than my truck with a 5 spd, and double t-cases, but the 4 runner has 32's and the truck has 35's. This is on level ground at 1k rpm's. I think if anything it will be different and still get me where I'm going.

-Priest- How does your truck do in the rocks compared to other Toy's?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
whats first gear in an auto? doesnt the torque converter effectively make a 5.29ed truck like 80:1 or so??? this would be worthy in all but the most technical wheeling like getting silly in the sluice box and the good hammer trail obstacles???

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Paul hit it... auto is right around 80:1 using the 2X equation for the torque converter and my 5.29's.

Wheeling the AT is cool. I haven't wheeled with many other Toys, most of the guys I go with have other things so I don't know how it compares to other Toys. Wheeling the A/T is just a matter of learning to drive with two feet. Where guys screw up is they don't ride the brakes and get all over the throttle causing wheel spin. Make sure you throw in an aux. trans cooler and I do a trans service once a year regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Petersen's 4wheeloffroad has an excellent article about wheelin' with auto trannies in this month's issue. Here is a link: http://4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/131_0302_TRAN/

I us a Turbo350. I like its simplicity and reliability, I don't like not being able to select manual first and I don't like the relatively high first gear.

I'd use a 700R4 but the 700 requires some upgrades to make it a reliable tranny that doesn't blow up where as the T350 in stock form has no reliability issues. Also a 700 in my 81 Tsb would require driveshaft mods which I didn't want to do. But the 700R4 has a very low first gear and a very high overdrive. And they all have a TCC ...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found out that my V6 4runner doesn't have a 4 pinion rear end. Is that weird? I looked up the numbers in the door jam just to make sure and sure enough....What's up with that? At least auto tranny's are easier on drivetrain than sticks.

Thanks for the opinions, I'll post some pics when it gets that far (hopefully next week!) and tell you all what I think.

·
Registered
213 Posts

I us a Turbo350. I like its simplicity and reliability, I don't like not being able to select manual first and I don't like the relatively high first gear.
I run a turbo350 as well but a buddy mut a manual valve body in it. I can select 1st and it will stay in 1st untill I shift up. Cheap up grade and you can peak inside your tranny to make sure your clutches are all good still when you do it.

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Clay said:
I just found out that my V6 4runner doesn't have a 4 pinion rear end. Is that weird? I looked up the numbers in the door jam just to make sure and sure enough....What's up with that? At least auto tranny's are easier on drivetrain than sticks.

Thanks for the opinions, I'll post some pics when it gets that far (hopefully next week!) and tell you all what I think.

Are they factory 4:88's or 4:56's?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Rootbass said:

I run a turbo350 as well but a buddy mut a manual valve body in it. I can select 1st and it will stay in 1st untill I shift up. Cheap up grade and you can peak inside your tranny to make sure your clutches are all good still when you do it.
A cheap bolt-on, I like the sounds of that. Can you give me a brane name I can check out?

So did you have to use a 4 speed shifter for this mod? I assume there must be an extra detent to be able to shift into manual first. I use a 3 speed Hurst shifter. Also, when you shift to manual first, does it freewheel or does it have engine braking??

·
Registered
398 Posts
Clay said:

Whelp, pretty simple, looks like someone swapped out the V6 member for the 4 cylinder 3rd. A 4 cyl 3rd will bolt right onto a V6 rear housing, axles fit and all.

·
Registered
544 Posts
dkc1657 said:

Whelp, pretty simple, looks like someone swapped out the V6 member for the 4 cylinder 3rd. A 4 cyl 3rd will bolt right onto a V6 rear housing, axles fit and all.
My 88 runner is a V6 with 4.10 gears 2 pin carrier but the 3rd housing is the V6 type with more ribs than the 4cyl. 3rd. All original too not a swapped in 3rd.

·
Registered
398 Posts
molsenmuscle said:
My 88 runner is a V6 with 4.10 gears 2 pin carrier but the 3rd housing is the V6 type with more ribs than the 4cyl. 3rd. All original too not a swapped in 3rd.
Is this really a big deal? 2 pinion vs 4 pinion carrier? Over the years, I've never seen any pinion gears fail on Toyota 3rds. I've destroyed my share of ring and pinions, but I've never heard of pinion gears breaking. Anyone?

·
Registered
123 Posts

Do you know if they make those for other trannies also, I have a c 6, I think that sounds really cool. How cheap is it?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess the pinion thing isn't that big of a deal, but I gotta bitch about SOMETHING, don't I? It would be nice if my V6 truck came with a V6 carrier though.

Do I understand you right, if you put your T350 in 1st gear, it will still shift into second? My tranny won't. If I put the shifter to 1st it stays there, if I put it in 2nd it will shift between 1st and 2nd. Is that what your talking about?

·
Registered
398 Posts
ksbronco said:

Do you know if they make those for other trannies also, I have a c 6, I think that sounds really cool. How cheap is it?
Never heard of one for Ford. But from reading Petersens I know that there's a GM 4L80E one available. Also, apparently some company is making a valve body for the 700R4 that shifts gears in reverse: Park - Neutral - Reverse - Drive 1 - Drive 2 - Drive 3 - Drive 4. Instead of P - N - R - D4 - D3 - D2 - D1. That way, you can toggle between reverse and D1 very easily.

I'd be interested in geting a manual valve body for my T350 but only if I get enging braking when I shift to manual first.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Clay said:
I guess the pinion thing isn't that big of a deal, but I gotta bitch about SOMETHING, don't I? It would be nice if my V6 truck came with a V6 carrier though.

Do I understand you right, if you put your T350 in 1st gear, it will still shift into second? My tranny won't. If I put the shifter to 1st it stays there, if I put it in 2nd it will shift between 1st and 2nd. Is that what your talking about?
Ya. I wouldn't worry about the pinion gears. Would the gf be better if she had 4 tits instead of two? not so sure.

Um, you lost me, a stock Turbo 350 doesn't shift to manual first as far as I know. Using the 700R4 as an example, you can shift to manual first, but if you rev the engine high enough, it will shift to second gear. I think this is mostly a safety feature because its found in all stock 700R4's - that way, grandma doesn't overrev the engine by accident

1 - 20 of 21 Posts