Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crazyblaze Build Thread: TTC hopeful #18

Well, it looks like I have been lurking on here for over 3 years now and only made 14 posts......

so I thought I might start a build thread and maybe contribute some ideas in return for all of the ones that i have stolen :D

Here is a little update on the history of how the CrazyBlaze has gotten to where it is now.

Here is the beginning, it actually isn't totally stock but it is the most stock picture I have

Here is after I put the trailmaster 5" lift 2" body lift, and huge torsion bar crank

After the SAS but before any other real drivetrain mods

atlas 3.8, ford 8.8 rear, 63" chevy leaves in the rear

35's, hood vents ;) , and some more dents

completely rebuilt front suspension, astro van steering box, 8 lug HP d44 5.13's aussie locked, High steer, D60 rear 5.13's welded, new tranny crossmember and motor chain

no carpet, no a/c, front bumpstops added, steering stabilizer, recentered H1 double beadlocks and cut down runflats, with 36" hummer tires

Now 11-3-07
D60 open, 14 bolt rear welded, disk rear, both 5.13's, Mile Marker 12k winch, about 2" more lift, and a lot more body damage

Here is the whole build thread: http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=6361&st=0

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So here is the project I am up to now.

At the Toys for Tots run last december I accidentally broke out one of my back windows on a tree.

So the next wheeling trip at tuttle creek it was kinda cold with no back window

I decided that instead of putting in another window just to break it out again I would rather just get rid of it all.

I think I am going to try to move the glass lift gate up and have it still work and open, then build a mini truckbed with toolboxes on the sides.

I am definately open to ideas though if you guys have some good ones.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Nice build

It's pretty common to build up your first 4 wheel drive for most of us. Cutting it up is the best thing at your stage in the build. Good build up, but I agree that it needs less lift but gain it back with bigger tires.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got a day off work yesterday and worked on the blaze from 9 am to 5:30pm

got a little further on the chop

I still am seriously debating about welding the angle iron on the outside too but I am trying to think of a good way to do it without totally destroying my paint.

I have some of the "cold coat" gel stuff that I was thinking about putting on where the paint starts but I'm not sure how much I trust it....

I call them my "tree sliders" I figure since thats where the tree hit to break out my window, I might as well beef it up a little.

not done by any means, there is a LOT left to do.

I NEED bigger tires, but the main reason I am running the h1 tires is because I can get them for free. I just haven't came upon a super deal on tires yet.

I also got some bling from Poly Performance

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
looks like a good start man. keep at it!

oh yea, get bigger tires and hydro steering!

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
like the cap you built. I found that using 1/2 x 1/2 square tube worked well to reinforce the fender rail on my racer and was light weight. problem is that it bends easier than your angle iron design. If you can keep the sheetmetal cool enough, you can tack weld the panel all the way around before you finish weld it into place. the shitty thing about newer GM products is the lack of steel to weld to on body panels.

Nice to see the culmination of so much wheeling fun and the way it got there. also nice to see innovation in a build.

are you happy with the backwards front spring? (i say backwards because its not the same design i would have chosen.)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great build. Can you show some more pictures of where you brought the glass foreward and attached it to the rest of the main body. Also where you attached the angle iron in the back are you going to connect it to the inner tub?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
to grumpy old fart- I love the way my suspension works right now. The only problems I ever run into with being shackle front is I tend to bash them into things often. besides that, it works great for me.

I need some opinions on this.

I went wheeling today and everything is working great, I love my truck the way it is.

As of right now I can turn easily and it gets pretty much everywhere I want without a front locker.

so I am debating between two options on what direction the next mod goes

#1. Get full hydro steering and weld the front diff (I already ordered parts mike heim joint high steer arms, and have a high flow power steering pump from agr that I won at a meet)

#2. Instead, spend the money on a new quality (warn) winch for the front and mount my mile marker on the back where it can be used in emergencies b/c today I definately could have used it.

keep this in mind though it gets me pretty much everywhere I want to go now. I have had a front locker before and broken shafts and had to buy bling shafts before but I really just love wheeling, not breaking shit every single time.

what do you guys think would benefit more?

·
Premium Member
5,523 Posts
to grumpy old fart- I love the way my suspension works right now. The only problems I ever run into with being shackle front is I tend to bash them into things often. besides that, it works great for me.

I need some opinions on this.

I went wheeling today and everything is working great, I love my truck the way it is.

As of right now I can turn easily and it gets pretty much everywhere I want without a front locker.

so I am debating between two options on what direction the next mod goes

#1. Get full hydro steering and weld the front diff (I already ordered parts mike heim joint high steer arms, and have a high flow power steering pump from agr that I won at a meet)

#2. Instead, spend the money on a new quality (warn) winch for the front and mount my mile marker on the back where it can be used in emergencies b/c today I definately could have used it.

keep this in mind though it gets me pretty much everywhere I want to go now. I have had a front locker before and broken shafts and had to buy bling shafts before but I really just love wheeling, not breaking shit every single time.

what do you guys think would benefit more?
Sent PM about problem 1 ;)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
weld it! hydro steering, BIGGER MEATS!

I wheeled with V6, 4:1, 36s, welded front, with stock shafts.....no problems at all. I upgraded the motor and tires, so I upgraded the shafts.

Brian

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Haha, after this I came home and ordered a lunchbox locker for the 60 :laughing:

It was a pretty cool event, there was 230 rigs there :eek:

They served breakfast and lunch, they ran out of donuts in the morning and we barely got some lunch :eek:

We had to sit in line on the road leading to the park for ~30 min just to get in :eek:

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
God those tires are crap...^pic above, they're caked in mud :laughing: other than that, really cool build. I hope you come up on a good deal on tires soon so you can see what your truck's really got. :D

1 - 20 of 347 Posts