Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got some work done on the truck Saturday: The tires and wheels are for sale. I fixed the dome light and the cargo light. I built a battery tie down to replace the ratchet strap. I de-stickered the interior. I added floor mats...

Of course, like any new toy, I found a few more things I need to adjust or fix. But, I did get to take her out for a little bit on Sunday and get her muddy. :)

Side note, does anyone have a set of the factory stereo brackets they would be willing to sell? Mine are missing...

·
Change is good.
35,182 Posts
Makes me miss my 85. BTW, I hated the spool in the back of mine and went back to an automatic locker, Aussie.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm not a fan of the spool, but it will work for now. 4.88's and ARBs are on my list when I can start throwing real money at this thing. It will probably be a few years. LOL!

I have to say that the wide tires, spooled rear, and Detroit front this thing is a bitch to turn on the trails... But it was a good shoulder workout. LOL!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Either twin-stick the tcase to "unlock" the front so you can steer, and/or get hydro assist. You won't notice the detroit up front with assist.

Why change to 4:88 when you have 5:29s? I'd keep the gears in it now especially with the 22re

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm planning on twin-sticking the t-case when I add 4.7 gears. That hopefully will happen this spring. Hydro assist is on the longer list.

·
Registered
239 Posts
How hard were the Cooper seats to mount ? I desperately need to replace the uncomfortable 60/40 seats in my '89. The Toyota SR5 bucket seats seem to be hard to come by, and I don't really want to spend $600+ for PRP seats.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How hard were the Cooper seats to mount ? I desperately need to replace the uncomfortable 60/40 seats in my '89. The Toyota SR5 bucket seats seem to be hard to come by, and I don't really want to spend $600+ for PRP seats.
I didn't mount them, so I'm not sure what all was involved. I will say that I really miss my Baja SS suspension seats and will be going back to those at some point.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The main reason I want 4.88's is to give her a little longer legs on the freeway. That will bring my RPMs down 230 in 5th gear at 70 MPH and get me below the 3000 RPM.

·
P.B.A.
4,345 Posts
I had 4.88’s and 35’s and wish I had 5.29’s. It wasn’t bad enough for me to ever swap it as I got my 4.88’s for free. I wouldn’t do it. Install solid pinion spacer and arbs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I may change my mind on the gear change. We will see once I have different tires and spend more time on the road. Right now the thought of driving it 6 hours at 70 seems exhausting. LOL

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I DD'd my old 88 pickup with 37's and 5.29s and it was great. You want to be in the 3000 RPM range on the hwy in 5th. That's where the 22RE makes its best power.
I ran 40's for a bit and 5.29s would barely cut it in 5th

BTW: sent you a PM regarding the stereo brackets. Send me your shipping info and I'll drop them in the mail

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks! Like I said, I may change my mind once I have the tires I'm going to run on it. I don't have money for anything like that right now anyway. LOL

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
5.29s are good for 35s

I ran 6.17s and 38s and it was nice

4.88s are a waste of money. I broke 4.10s just as easy as 5.29s.

I really wanted to do 7.17s and an r151 with the supra 5th gear. Not sure if there is a mod like that for the w56. The 0.85 5th gear is kinda dumb.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
With factory 29s with 4.11s, 4.88s doesnt put you back to effective gearing with 35s. Ignoring weight and aerodynamics.

A taller 5th wouldnt help either.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
With factory 29s with 4.11s, 4.88s doesnt put you back to effective gearing with 35s. Ignoring weight and aerodynamics.

A taller 5th wouldnt help either.
I was saying if you were to keep the 5.29's and 37's, but had a taller 5th gear (to drop the rpms another 100 - 200 rpm), that would give the truck longer legs on the freeway without sacrificing anything else.

All that being said, I will have to see what it is like with the new tires. Right now it feels too low of geared on the street. Even taking off in first is really short. It has been quite a while since I had something 22RE powered, but this truck either has a lot more power or it feels lower geared... Or maybe I'm just getting old and don't remember so well...

Anyway, like I said before, I won't be doing anything to the gears or lockers for a very long time.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts