Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First let me explain the "Mater build". Some 6 year old kid saw my truck the other day and says to his mom "look mom it's Mater". I couldn't help but laugh, and said to the kid "yeah it's not very pretty is it?" You will see the resemblance later in this thread, in the trucks current state. I thought it was funny.:flipoff2:

So I've decided to start this build-up thread for a few reasons. One, to Keep track of what I've done. For myself and others who are interested. Two, hopefully people who have done some of the things I am doing or wanting to do can chime in and I can gain knowledge from their experiences. Three, constructive criticism is always a good thing in my opinion. I am far from knowing all there is to this 4wheeling thing. And I'm always willing to learn a thing or two.

So, first off is the truck. Rewind to Oct, 2004. The truck started off as a 1980 K10. It came with a 350/350/205 combo in it. With the standard 1/2 ton junk running gear. I bought it from a buddy who was asking $800 for it. He told me it ran and drove ok. When I went to look at it and drive it he couldn't even get it started. I told him without hearing it run I wasn't interested in buying it for $800. He called me back later that night and offered it to me for $400 as is. So I figured sure why not. I had his brother bring it over to my place with his tow truck and drop it off. I had it running the next day. It turned out that the fuel selector valve wasn't switching over to the tank with gas in it. So when the gas gauge read full it was drawing fuel from the empty tank. I added gas to the other tank and it fired right up.

This is what it looked like when I first got it.

Plenty of room in the garage.

Once the truck was running I found out the tranny had problems. No big deal. Had another buddy who builds trannies rebuild it for $200 + parts. Total cost was about $325.

Once the truck was in driving condition I tried to decide what I wanted to do to the truck. I've thrown together many cars before, but I've never sat down and made a plan and actually tried to stick to the plan. Or even have a plan before hand for that matter. So I decided I was going to build this thing exactly how I wanted it before I drove it.

My plan was to have a truck that was reliable, and capable for my area. There seems to be a little of everything around here so that made it a little tough I think.

My Plan:
Better axles
6-8" of lift
38"+ tires
stroked 400 - 416cid
Streetable/Legal

So the first order of business would have to address the axles. I did a bit of research before I decided what I wanted to use. I decided on a Dana 60 front for the shear strength. I chose a 14 bolt Full floater for the rear because of its strength and cost of rebuilding vs some of the other rears. It was also cheaper to get from the junk yard. I searched for a while before finding a suitable D60. The one I bought had 60K on the truck it came from. Everything in it was in good working order. So I justified not having to rebuild it for paying a little extra for it. I got it for $1175. And it was the only use able one I could find at the time. I know I could have probably found a better deal somewhere. But I was a little impatient at the time as well. Thinking I would have this truck together in no time. I would need the axle right away. That turned out not to be true.

I sourced the 14FF from another junk yard and only paid $60 for it. I knew I would be completely rebuilding this axle. As long as it wasn't bent and the spindles were good I was ok.

Next thing I know I was going to be a daddy and that threw the brakes on my project.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Over the next year or so I didn't do much with the truck. I gathered parts for the 14 bolt and misc. motor parts. I gathered quite a collection of new parts in boxes.

With being a new dad there wasn't a lot of time to spend on the truck.

We finally decided we would buy a house rather than pay someone elses mortgage(rent). The pictures above are in the new house. I finally found the time and motivation to get started on the truck. I first decided to get the new axles under the truck. That way they weren't in my way all the time. A D60 gets heavier every time you have to move it out of your way.:D

The D60 was a direct bolt in.

next in was the 14FF

I had to move the spring perches out a little bit. I ended up with new spring perches that were "grind to fit". Big mistake. I should have bought the ones that fit the first time. Oh well. I made them work. I threw on a 6" all spring lift while I was swapping axles. I ended up giving the 1/2ton crap away. I thought I was lucky to have someone haul it off for me.

Next I bought my tires. 15x38.5x16.5 boggers. $850 TYD from 4WP. I thought that was a damn good deal.

Starting to get taller with 33" wild country rollers.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completed my first gear setup on my 14FF. Following BillaVista's write up things went fairly smoothly. I decided on 4:88's with my tire and engine combo.

All in all I was very happy with what I had. I decided I would add disk brakes now rather than redo it later. So It got all new brake parts. I added SS braided brake lines as well. I had a local shop fab up 12" braided lines directly to the rear calipers. The rest is all new hard line.

With new tires, lift, axles.

Looks a little long for my liking though. It's not proportioned correctly.

Again work stops on the truck for financial reasons.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
i like the idea (i'm a ford guy though, but still not bad and a good plan too), but yeah umm boggers work better flipped the other way (the front):flipoff2: when doing mud.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
what are your plans for the truck as of now? mud? rocks? or just a good trail rig? looks cool so far! :D

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I like the cheap builds, my waggy started out as a free salvage title POS. Keep the pics coming:grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes I know my tires arent all on the right way. but they are mounted the right way on the rim. so when I CARE about which way they are facing they will be on correctly. thanks for noticing. And the way it looks now it does look more like mater. Pics to come soon.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I didn't get any work done on the truck from the time of the last picture (April 12, 2006 until) until I did the gear setup in March of this year.

On September 5th 2006 I was riding my brother motorcycle (CBR600RR) and had a Semi run through a light and hit me. Almost killed me. I spent the next 6 months recovering. The only reason I mention that is it obviously had a profound affect on my outlook on life. And I enjoy the little things in life a lot more. Like working on my truck. And since I'm still unable to work I have plenty of time to spend working on it now. Just no money. So this has really turned into a budget build. And I've found new ways to get things done. The gear setup was the last thing to get done until recently.

My brother and a lot of my friends have been helping me get things together on this thing.

Just prior to getting in my accident my brother gave me a car since I didn't have reliable transportation to and from work. It was a '91 Chevy caprice 9c1. An old cop car. It had a TBI 350, 700r4. I had decided to use that motor and was thinking about swapping over to EFI. This motor ran good and didn't need to be rebuilt like the 400 I wanted to use. So this made a logical choice with my current financial situation. So we prepared to put it into the truck. We pulled the entire front clip to ease the wiring that would need to be done.

A while back I tossed around the idea of putting a crew cab on my frame and cutting the front of the bed back to fit it. I looked into this more and found most guys were using body lifts along with notching the floor for the frame to come through. I looked for a crew cab for a while. I found several but everyone wanted $600+ for them. Finally I found one for $50 on craigslist. I just had to drive to get it, but it was perfect for what I wanted. Well worth the drive.

The crew cab.

Next I came across some vortec heads for $200 on craigslist. So I contacted the guy and went to look at them. They looked great. Obviously low miles on them. As we talked he was showing me other stuff he had and was trying to sell me other stuff. Then he showed me the motor he had for sale. An 8.1L 496ci BBC. I wanted it! But knew I couldn't really afford it. So I told him I would think about the heads and I would get a hold of him in the next couple days. I got home and told my girlfriend about the heads and the motor. Surprisingly she thought I should buy the BBC. I had tried digging up info on this motor and still haven't found much out there. I was ready to pass on the motor and get the heads and continue with my plan. My girlfriend talked me into buying the motor instead. And since my bday was near we just considered it a bday present as well.

The new motor.

18Kmiles everything inside looks new. $600

So now Im on the lookout for parts for this beast. Bone stock its rated at [email protected] and 455lb-ft [email protected] Not bad for factory reliability.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I really started to get motivated to get this thing done this century after I found the motor and cab.

So first thing first. Swap cabs. So we started tearing things down.
Swapped the steering column into the crew cab.

Then off with the cab and saddle tanks.

I had previously marked out on the bed where I would need to cut the bed back to when I first thought of doing the crew cab. So I already knew where to cut.

Off with the lip the front of the bed bolts too.

Tacking everything back together.

By this time my neighbor saw what we were doing and decided he wanted in on the fun. And since he is an iron worker and knows how to weld fairly good, and better than myself, he got welding duty.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
mmmmmm hmmmmmm\

Nothing says budget build like a front 60, a brand spankin new set of boggers, and an 8.1L swap!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

We got the bed all tacked up and ready for the cab. I made a few calls and had some buddies come over. At about 10:30 that night we got the crew cab placed onto the frame. Although not perfect, it was on there. I hadn't yet cut the floor boards out for the frame to go through yet. It looked a little awkward to say the least. But I could see it coming together.

The next morning I surveyed the damage from the long day before.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mmmmmm hmmmmmm\

Nothing says budget build like a front 60, a brand spankin new set of boggers, and an 8.1L swap!
I actually bought the D60, and boggers when I had money. It wasn't intended to be a "budget build" when it started out. And I don't know whats more of a budget motor? Rebuilding a SBC for 1K+ or a $600 BBC. I think I will end up with about the same into the big block as a rebuilt SBC. Only time will tell though.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I spent the next day cleaning up and reorganizing from the mayhem the night before. For some reason when I get people to come help me they forget to pick up the tools they use :confused: Fawkers! Their is always a price I suppose.

The next couple days I spent getting the cab down on the frame. I had to cut the floor board for the frame to come through.
This is where she came to rest.

And a picture of how the truck sits now.

The frame rails will get boxed in with sheet metal I took out of the bed sides to save money. The boxed in portion sits between the rear passengers feet. So I don't think it will be in the way at all. And if it is...........Well I'm in the drivers seat anyways. :D

Oh yeah and NO BODY LIFT!

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
you should be the proud new owner of a trucking company and should never have to worry about working again in your life...

cool truck, maybe its the pic, but seems like the rear axle needs to go back some...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sweet finally something original.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks. Although I wouldn't consider this "original" compared to a lot of rigs on here. The plan is to get the motor, tranny and tcase back in and the front clip back on this weekend. So that it actually looks like something.

I need to raise the front of the cab about 3/4" to line everything up. I was thinking I would have to fab up some frame mounts for the body but the rear bolts on the cab line up with a cross member. So I plan to attach the body to that. For the cab mounts in the middle I will just use the old mounts from the rear of the standard cab and raise them up to where I need them. I did have to take out one cross member just behind where the rear of the standard cab was. I plan on making a new cross-member out of 1/4" plate to the frame and maybe 1-1/2 tube to connect it. and make it hug the body close. But I need my tcase in to make sure there wont be any clearance issues with the output or case.

Also, I forgot to mention a few things. I also installed ORD's cross-over highsteer set-up. Which is top notch in my opinion. I also did the weld-in and bolt-in frame braces near the steering box. I also swapped to 32 spline fixed yoke outputs and High Angle Driveline flanges for the tcase. The plan is to run Jess's 1ton CV shafts front and rear, yokes on both axles were upgraded to 1410's a while back. I wanted to build this so I didn't have to worry about it breaking every time out. I know something will eventually break but I like to prevent it before hand.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you should be the proud new owner of a trucking company and should never have to worry about working again in your life...

cool truck, maybe its the pic, but seems like the rear axle needs to go back some...

Things dont always work out as easy as that in real life though. There is a lawsuit in the works but it will be long and drawn out I'm sure.

As far as the axle I've noticed that and will address that in the future. I was thinking of moving it back one inch with new holes in the spring perch for the locator pin in the leaf pack. And instead of cutting the fender like normal, I was thinking about stretching the fender to keep the factory lip on it. But like i said, I'll deal with it when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts