Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'd go with a barrel style door, instead of one with tracks if at all possible.

The tracks get in the way, and once I got my fingers between the leaves when I was closing the door and I still have flashbacks. You don't have that problem with a barrell door
this is definitely on my list of wishes, but its pretty low on the rank of ways to spend a grand or two with this expanse of space..

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I have one of those and its nice.
There are 2 kinds, mine is a straddle type (has 2 legs that stick out 4' forward of the mast and the back sticks out ~2 feet behind the mast), you have to keep the floor under the bottom layer on the pallet rack clear to make that work (with lifting, pulling back, setting it down and pushing in you can work around a set of cabinets under the pallet rack).
Straddle Type:

The other kind is a counterbalance type (more like a regular forklift, but with a pallet jack type handle) and it works well, but takes more space (4-6 feet behind the mast, plus the length of the forks) to store.
Counterbalance:

Whatever you do, ONLY get one that is electric driven. Pushing a manual one with a few pieces of 1/4" pieces of gravel on the floor is an exercise in frustration.

Aaron Z
I hate those things. :laughing: they take up as much room to store and take more space to operate than a small forklift. You add an extra 3' behind the steer wheels with the handle, which is always in the way of something when i need to steer. Find a little 2000lb lift and enjoy having a real fork lift around the shop. You will use it way more than you think.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I hate those things. :laughing: they take up as much room to store and take more space to operate than a small forklift. You add an extra 3' behind the steer wheels with the handle, which is always in the way of something when i need to steer. Find a little 2000lb lift and enjoy having a real fork lift around the shop. You will use it way more than you think.
the bottom pic in the op, yes it's ~ the size of a tiny ride-on, but you still get the finer precision of hand controls. top one is half the size and you get in a tight space you can stand the handle vertical and squeeze/ nudge anywhere you want...

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
You have more than enough space to stick the lift in line with the doors.

Any running vehicle should be able to drive to where the lift is in your original plan. When you want to use the lift to load/unload a trailer you're gonna wish it was inline with the doors so you could just drive straight through.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Whatever you do, ONLY get one that is electric driven. Pushing a manual one with a few pieces of 1/4" pieces of gravel on the floor is an exercise in frustration.
I worked in a shop for 4-5 years with the manual-push straddle type. A narrow body Kwik-Stak. Very handy, small, and not that heavy. Got used as a man-lift as much it it got used to move engines. :laughing:

You either keep the stuff under the racking on wheels, or shuffle it with the lift first to get at things higher up.

There shouldn't be any gravel on your shop floor. Sweep! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Finished ceiling height in the wood shop?? Move the office into the back corner next to the wood shop. Eliminate the 10x9 door into the wood shop. You don't want cross contamination. Put a 36'' man door there or a double door if you want large. Eliminate one of the man doors in the garage. (I'd eliminate the one farthest from the office) Depending on the ceiling height in the wood shop---the top of it and the office can become an overhead storage area if beefed up correctly. Vacuum system for the wood shop can go up there also. 2 barrel 12x14 shop doors are next.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Finished ceiling height in the wood shop?? Move the office into the back corner next to the wood shop. Eliminate the 10x9 door into the wood shop. You don't want cross contamination. Put a 36'' man door there or a double door if you want large. Eliminate one of the man doors in the garage. (I'd eliminate the one farthest from the office) Depending on the ceiling height in the wood shop---the top of it and the office can become an overhead storage area if beefed up correctly. Vacuum system for the wood shop can go up there also. 2 barrel 12x14 shop doors are next.
It's 14' in the wood shop / paint booth.

Wood shop is primarily during the next few yrs of heavy home Reno then occasional use. I'd really like to get the wood shop into my other building with 10' ceilings eventually.

The 10x9 connector door is a double swing door that seals pretty well, and could be perfect with a roll of foam tape.

I've actually got a grizzly dust collection system waiting to be installed.

I Just Invested heavily in 2 ga aluminum feeder yesterday for a 100 amp sub panel in the wood shop,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Haven’t read the other comments yet but I wouldn’t put my lift on an angle. In the end I think it takes up less space or leaves more space for other projects if it were in line with the door. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
16,114 Posts
I'd still put the lift in line with one of the doors.

A running vehicle should be able to pull through with no problem (it's a 2 post asymmetric, right?).

Moving non-running junk is just a pita, especially if it's locked.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts