Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 70 fj40 running full width dana 44 knuckles are both drilled and i have arms from extreme off road my thought is to make the tie rod myself with weld in plugs from avalanche and use heim joints so i can drill my own holes in the steering arms what i need help with is connecting the drag link should i just weld a chunk of steel to the tie rod or should i drill 2 holes in the pass side steering arm one for the tierod and one for the draglink. any pictures, suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
FAWK THE HEIMS.......

TRE:D

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
old scout where would you put the tre's???

I CAN TELL YA WHERE

:emb4: :D :flipoff2:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
ironpig70 said:
old scout where would you put the tre's???
Here is my draglink connection to my tie rod with TREs

·
Registered
54,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
old scout couple questions

1) does the tre mount in the steering arm in a straight hole or tapered like the arm to knuckle??

2) do you use tre's on both ends of the tierod or just where the tierod and draglink meet???

3) where do you get them and the cost???

thanks

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
The Arm has a tapered hole.

The draglink has high angle ends so it will not bind

Look at the difference in movement between a high angle TRE and a standard one.

Yes there are four of them two for the draglink and two for the tie rod.

You can get them anywhere! There standard only chebby stuff. All four cost me 105.00 with a lifetime warranty.

I'll dig up the parts #s.

·
Registered
54,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$105 thats not bad like $27 each heims are $33 each at avalanche and i like how you mounted one tre to the other did you bore out the hole or is it made to do this?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
1. ES2233L $25.99 pass side tie rod
2. ES2234R $23.99 driver side tie rod
3. ES2027L $18.99 high misalignment drag link end
4. ES2026R $20.99 high misalignment drag link end

You will need to have the pass side tie rod end reammed with a tapered reamer. You will need to ream your pitman arm as well. It's a 7 degree reamer. Do a search there is a ton of info on them.

This TRE set up will out flex and out last hiems

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you go over the top with the TRE with high steer or with over the knuckle (I think some Chevy stuff is stock that way) you need to re ream the tie rod end to fit the drag link from the other side. I would suggest buying a reamer so you can change out the TRE if you ever need to or buy two and carry a spare (as apposed to getting someone to ream one for you). The threads are 7/8-18 RH & LH (Old Scout's # end in R=RH threads L=LH threads) The taps get spendy.
HTH

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
EBSTEVE said:
If you go over the top with the TRE with high steer or with over the knuckle (I think some Chevy stuff is stock that way) you need to re ream the tie rod end to fit the drag link from the other side. I would suggest buying a reamer so you can change out the TRE if you ever need to or buy two and carry a spare (as apposed to getting someone to ream one for you). The threads are 7/8-18 RH & LH (Old Scout's # end in R=RH threads L=LH threads) The taps get spendy but can be found by searching the internet and if you want I make and sell the tubes and reamed TRE's. PM me if interested.
HTH
Dug back three months to pimp your draglinks and tie rods? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I was searching to see who has the warranty on the ends and did not realize how old the thread was so I removed the "pimping" so if you remove it from the quote there is just tech there. I was giving info not just pimpin'

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Fawk, I'm glad this came up, I need this exact setup. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts