Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to buy or make a cross member that will have a long y-arm kit. if you could post some pictures of crossmembers you are running long arm set ups on that would be great.

i would like to stay away from the tnt xmember/bellyskid. the skid part is alrite but i dont want the vehicle side ends that far forward.

·
Registered
111 Posts
very easy to build one just get some 1/4 or 3/8 plate and weld some tube on it to keep if from flexin alot and then just make it so it will bolt up were the old t-case member bolts drill some holes for the t-case to bolt to it and ya can weld on some mounts for the links were ever ya need them but if ya are going to do some hard wheelin on it i would make it wrap up the frame some so ya get a few extra bolts in it for strangth!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

I'd do it different now. Just use 2x4.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vette i would like to see pics from the front on how you put ur control arms on please.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
vettteboy -
I was trying to figure out which way the pictures were facing every time because even tho we have similar setups, the undersides of our jeeps are soo different.

Your tranny looks funny, btw

Do your front tires ever contact your arms? They are mounted further in, but you also run bigger tires and mine rubs like crazy at full lock..

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
vettteboy -
I was trying to figure out which way the pictures were facing every time because even tho we have similar setups, the undersides of our jeeps are soo different.

Your tranny looks funny, btw

Do your front tires ever contact your arms? They are mounted further in, but you also run bigger tires and mine rubs like crazy at full lock..
I got a free Dodge front 60 and a free D300. Figured I'd make it work. Honestly I kind of like having the diff on that side, seems like I hit it less than I did before.

Tranny is an NV4500 out of a Dodge 3500 diesel, of course it looks funny, it has no business being there. :D

The tires *barely* hit the links. Not enough that I notice it ever, but enough that there's a few shiny spots. It happens at exactly two instances: when the passenger side tire is fully stuffed and I have the wheel cut hard left (left tire rubs), and when the driver's side tire is fully stuffed and the wheel is cut hard right (right tire rubs). Blame it on the trackbar. I had absolutely no other options for link placement, the D300 yoke prevented me from bringing them in more at the crossmember, and the axle prevented me from putting the link mounts anywhere else. I'm extremely happy with how it worked out though, the front suspension does everything I wanted to when I was initially designing it in the calc and on paper, and I have no problems at all with binding, pinion angle, or unloading. So far there's nothing I would change up front.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
vette that was perfectly wut i was looking for thanks a lot, i appreciate it.

i plan on doing the y-arm set up so the top mount isnt necessary. would any one suggest agaisnt it?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have the radius style, with one upper link and it is definitely the easiest way to do a long arm, but it has its draw backs. No binding with only one upper, but it does create some weird geometry. When I stomp the gas, it has a tendency to lean right as it lifts, not sure if this happens with a true upper arm.

Vetteboy, you got this problem?

Keep in mind that it is not a big deal, your springs will settle at different rates, so I just switch them side to side occasionally... And she still drives and wheels like a champ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts