Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I put an 85 engine and tranny into a 81 pick up frame and the crossmember is about 5" to far towards the front. Is this usual and is there any fixes short of a custom crossmember?

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Yep thats right. I think that year came with a L45 "4 speed" tranny which is 5" shorter. I think bud build has dones some custom crossmembers. another option is using square ubolts to bolt a 85 ? OEM crossmeber to the frame.

My buddy has an 81 and the L45 tranny and he's thought about swapping it for a w56 "5 speed" tranny and found the same problem.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Or make new crossmember mounting tabs. Thats what I did with my dual cases to get clearance for the front drive shaft. Couple of 1/4" angle tabs with a nut welded on top and weld that to the frame. I also drilled 2 holes in the frame and worked a nut up there and welded it in place so I have 4 mounting locations on each side still.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Depending on yer suspension, you'll probably have to fix yer Dshaft lengths, too. My rear shaft was bottoming out with the truck just sitting there, which will push against yer Tcase, making big problems. Especially bearing failure.

If yer not running dual cases, I think Bud gets $165 for his singlr mount x-member. Not sure if he includes Ubolts or not. i have his first 79-83 xmember, and I think I spent $30 on 4 ubolts.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hey jesse, my buddy Jake welded some 1/4" plate to the ends of the crossmember to make them longer. then he drilled the holes so that he could use the short square ubolts around the frame. Ill see if he still has it, he ended up buyin a budbuilt, so he might still have it.

Jon

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm not sure if you have dual cases or single but we do have a new crossmember that will be ready to ship within 2 weeks that allows you to bolt your combo in the stock holes for the dual case. :)
For a single case, Cracker is right, we have a single case universal version that uses Ubolts over the frame to mount and it is $170
The other ideas work too, just offering a bolt on idea, if needed! :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Forget the stock Cross Member, and buy the Bud Bulit Crossmember!!!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
A budbuilt is a no brainer, but for now...... make it work :D

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
...you'll have to fix yer Dshaft lengths, too. The rear shaft will bottom out, which will push against yer Tcase, making big problems. Especially bearing failure.

Yeah like rearend disentegration and broken xfercase housing. Don't ask how I know....but fortunately for me and unfortunately for my friend...I saw both things happen to a friend's truck.

BTW, I crushed and bent my stock xmember after a couple years wheeling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts